Wednesday, Sept. 3
1:15 p.m. - The Gulf Coast Writers meet at the Island Branch Library, 5701 Marina Drive, Holmes Beach. Information: 941-778-7631.
7 p.m. - A seminar with Dr. Pat Gilbert on harmful algal blooms is at the New College Sudakoff Center, 5845 General Dougher Place, Sarasota. Information: 941-951-6084.
Thursday, Sept. 4
6 to 7 p.m. - Volunteer meet and greet at Robinson Preserve. Information: 941-748-4501, ext. 4605.
6:30 p.m. - Ben Gullett Mullet Invitational fishing tournament captain’s meeting at Star Fish Company, 12304 46th Ave. W., Cortez. Information: 941-794-1243. Fee applies.
Saturday, Sept. 6
9 to 11 a.m. - “Animal Olympics” Wild Kids’ Weekend at Robinson Preserve. Program suitable for ages 6 and older. Information: 941-748-4501, ext. 4605.
9 a.m. to noon - Bay Wise kayak tour from Palma Sola Causeway to Robinson Preserve. Space is limited to 15 participants. Information: Sarasota Bay Estuary Program offices, 941-955-8085.
10 a.m. to noon - Creative Clay class for ages 7 and older at the Anna Maria Island Art League, 5312 Holmes Blvd., Holmes Beach. Four-week session. Information: 941-778-2099. Fee applies.
10:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. - Family origami at the Island Branch Library, 5701 Marina Drive, Holmes Beach. Information: 941-778-6341.
1 to 3 p.m. - A Scrapbooking Adventure for parent and child ages 5 and older at the Anna Maria Island Art League, 5312 Holmes Blvd., Holmes Beach. Information: 941-778-2099. Fee applies.
8:30 a.m. - The Kiwanis Club of Anna Maria Island hosts a breakfast meeting at Cafe on the Beach, 4000 Gulf Drive, Holmes Beach. Information: 941-795-8697.
6 p.m. - Ben Gullet Mullet Invitational Fishing Contest fish fry and awards ceremony at Star Fish Company, 12304 46th Ave. W., Cortez. Information: 941-794-1243. Fee applies.
Monday, Sept. 8
6:30 p.m. - Seminar on nautical knots at the Anna Maria Island Power Squadron, 1200 71st St. N.W., Bradenton. Information: 941-795-0482. Fee applies.
Tuesday, Sept. 9
Noon: The Rotary Club of Anna Maria Island meets for lunch and a program about families in crisis at the BeachHouse Restaurant, 200 Gulf Drive N., Bradenton Beach. Fee. Information: 941-778-1880.
4 to 5:30 p.m. - “Budding Young Artists” class for ages 7 and older at the Anna Maria Island Art League, 5312 Holmes Blvd., Holmes Beach. Four-week session. Information: 941-778-2099. Fee applies.
- Wednesdays and Saturdays at 9 a.m., players pitch horseshoes in the pits at Anna Maria City Hall, 10005 Gulf Drive, Anna Maria. Information: 941-708-6130.
- The first and third Mondays of each month, the American Legion Post 24, 2005 75th St. W., Bradenton, hosts dinners for the public. Fee. Information: 941-794-3489.
- Sept. 11 is Patriot Day.
- Sept. 11, Sarasota Shell Club meeting.
- Sept. 13, eco-hunt at St. Armands Circle. Information: 941-952-1119, www.eco-hunt.com.
- Sept. 13, Wild Kids’ weekend at Robinson Preserve.
Save the date
- Sept. 29, the annual Anna Maria Island Chamber of Commerce golf outing. Information: 941-778-1541.
- Nov. 2, Anna Maria Elementary 1950s student reunion picnic.
- Nov. 14-16, “artsHOP” takes place at various venues on the Island. Information: 941-778-2099.
- Nov. 15, village of Cortez Folk Festival.
Send calendar listings to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include time, date and location of the event and a contact number and e-mail address. The deadline for submissions is at least one week prior to the Wednesday publication date.Remember, the sooner you submit your notice, the sooner The Islander can announce the event.