Wednesday, Aug. 6
11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. - Anna Maria Island Chamber of Commerce luncheon with guest speaker U.S. Rep. (R, P-13) Vern Buchanan at the Sun House Restaurant, 111 Gulf Drive, Bradenton Beach. Information: 941-778-1541. Fee applies.
1:15 p.m. - Gulf Coast Writers meet to share their work at the Island Branch Library, 5701 Marina Drive, Holmes Beach. Information: 941-778-7631.
Thursday, Aug. 7
11 a.m. - The Anna Maria Island Community Center’s teen program heads to Leffis Key to clean up the Baywalk preserve. Information: 941-778-1908.
Friday, Aug. 8
1 to 3 p.m. - “Ask the Expert: the ABCs of Caregiving” with Sue Fox, program specialist with the Alzheimer’s Association, at Freedom Village, 6406 21st Ave. W., Bradenton. Information: 941-798-8122.
6:30 p.m. - The Anna Maria Island Community Center, 407 Magnolia Ave., Anna Maria, hosts movie night in the gym. On the screen will be “Toy Story.” Information: 941-778-1908.
Saturday, Aug. 9
8:30 a.m. - The Kiwanis Club of Anna Maria Island hosts a breakfast meeting at Cafe on the Beach, 4000 Gulf Drive, Holmes Beach. Information: 941-795-8697.
10:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. - Family origami at the Island Branch Library, 5701 Marina Drive, Holmes Beach. Information: 941-778-6341.
11 a.m. to 1 p.m. - “Fun Raiser” with County Commissioner Jane von Hahmann, including music, free hot dogs and cold drinks at the Anna Maria Island Centre, on East Bay Drive, Holmes Beach.
6 to 9 p.m. - Anna Maria Island Privateers’ benefit car, truck and bike show at Mexicali Border Café, 5502 Cortez Road W., Bradenton. Information: 214-714-3953.
Tuesday, Aug. 12
9 a.m. - Anna Maria Elementary School class assignments for the 2008-09 school year will be posted on the administrative office windows, 4700 Gulf Drive, Holmes Beach. Information: 941-708-5525.
9:30 a.m. -“Blues Brunch” presentation of blues styles from the Kansas City Shuffle to the Delta beat at Freedom Village, 6406 21st Ave. W., Bradenton. Information: 941-798-8122.
Noon: The Rotary Club of Anna Maria Island meets for lunch and a program by Stephanie Hefner of Just For Girls Inc. at the BeachHouse Restaurant, 200 Gulf Drive N., Bradenton Beach. Fee. Information: 941-778-1880.
2:30 p.m. - The Anna Maria Island Community Center, 407 Magnolia Ave., hosts a youth video game tournament through Aug. 16. Information: 941-778-1908.
6 p.m. - The Anna Maria Island Community Center hosts teen sunset volleyball at the Manatee Public Beach. Information: 941-778-1908.
Wednesday, Aug. 13
7:45 to 9 a.m. - Anna Maria Island Chamber of Commerce Sunrise breakfast at Café on the Beach at the Manatee Public Beach, 4000 Gulf Drive, Holmes Beach. Information: 941-778-1541. Fee applies.
- The Artists Guild Gallery window display, located at 5414 Marina Drive, Holmes Beach, changes every two weeks and currently features paintings of boats and beaches created by guild members. Information: 941-778-6694.
- Antique summer fashion display Tuesdays through Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Anna Maria Island Historical Museum, 402 Pine Ave., Anna Maria, through August. Information: 941-778-0492.
- Wednesdays and Saturdays at 9 a.m., players pitch horseshoes in the pits at Anna Maria City Hall, 10005 Gulf Drive, Anna Maria. Information: 941-708-6130.
- Simply Put Artesian Gallery, 11904 Cortez Road, hosts “Fourth Fridays” from 6 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. on the fourth Friday of each month. Information: 941-896-5053.
- Teen Boys’ Night gathering Wednesdays at the Anna Maria Island Community Center, 407 Magnolia Ave., Anna Maria. Information: 941-778-1908.
- Teen Girls’ Night gathering Thursdays at the Anna Maria Island Community Center. Information: 941-778-1908.
- From 8 a.m. to noon the first Saturdays of the month, the Felts Audubon Preserve, 4600 24th Ave. E., Palmetto, opens to visitors, with volunteers available to answer questions about the flora and fauna and hiking paths. Information: 941-729-2222.
- The first and third Mondays of each month, the American Legion Post 24, 2005 75th St. W., Bradenton, hosts dinners for the public. Fee. Information: 941-794-3489.
- Video game tournament at the Anna Maria Island Community Center Aug. 13-16.
- Open house at Anna Maria Elementary School Aug. 14.
- Aug. 15-17, the Island Players welcome the Welsh Players to the Island for three performances of “The Importance of Being Earnest.” Fee. Information: 941-778-5755.
- Aug. 18 is the first day of the 2008-09 school year.
- Aug. 21, the Will Rogers Follies opens at Manatee Players.
- Aug. 25, registration deadline for the Mullet Invitational Fishing Contest. Information: www.cortezvillage.org.
Save the date
- On Aug. 26, Florida holds its primary election.
- Aug. 28, “Grape Escape” wine tasting and networking at Freedom Village.
- Sept. 1 is Labor Day.
- Sept. 5-6, Mullet Invitational Fishing Contest sponsored by the Star Fish Company.
- Sept. 29, the annual Anna Maria Island Chamber of Commerce Golf Outing. Information: 941-778-1541.
- Nov. 14-16, “artsHOP” takes place at various venues on the Island. Information: 941-778-2099.
Send calendar listings to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include time, date and location of the event and a contact number and e-mail address. The deadline for submissions is at least one week prior to the Wednesday publication date.Remember, the sooner you submit your notice, the sooner The Islander can announce the event.