Wednesday, Aug. 15
Noon - German radio’s DeeJane, Leslie Nachmann, conducts interviews and spins music from the BeachHouse Restaurant, 200 Gulf Drive N., Bradenton Beach, as part of Jazz on the Islands. Information: 941-778-8705.
5:30 p.m. - A teen-focused discussion about “creepy” garden plants takes place at the Island Branch Library, 5701 Marina Drive, Holmes Beach. Information: 941-778-6341.
Thursday, Aug. 16
9 a.m. - Manatee County invites volunteers to come out for a Robinson Preserve restoration project, a hands-on opportunity to plant salt-marsh species. The preserve is in the Palma Sola area in northwest Bradenton. Information: 941-748-4501.
4:30 to 6:30 p.m. - Back-to-School night at Anna Maria Elementary School, 4700 Gulf Drive, Holmes Beach. Information: 708-5525.
5:30 p.m. - The Longboat Key/Lido Key/St. Armands Key Chamber of Commerce hosts a business after hours gathering at the Longboat Lounge, 6854 Gulf of Mexico Drive, Longboat Key. Information: 941-383-2466.
Friday, Aug. 17
1 p.m. - Meals on Wheels Plus of Manatee County caregiver support group meets at the Island Branch Library, 5701 Marina Drive, Holmes Beach. Information: 941-747-4655.
Saturday, Aug. 18
8:30 a.m. - Manatee County offers a Robinson Preserve sneak peek tour at the preserve in the Palma Sola area in northwest Bradenton. Information: 941-748-4501.
8:30 a.m. - The Kiwanis Club of Anna Maria Island meets for a program and a breakfast at Cafe on the Beach at Manatee Public Beach, 4000 Gulf Drive, Holmes Beach. Information: 941-778-7823.
Sunday, Aug. 19
6:30 p.m. - Annie Morrison performs at the Celebrity Diva gala, a benefit for the Manatee Players, at the Riverfront Theatre, 102 Old Main St., Bradenton. Information: 941-748-5875.
Monday, Aug. 20
Manatee County School District students attend the first day of the 2007-08 school year.
Tuesday, Aug. 21
Noon - The Rotary Club of Anna Maria Island hears from member Barry Gould about property tax issues during a lunch meeting at the BeachHouse Restaurant, 200 Gulf Drive N., Bradenton Beach. Information: Information: 941-778-1880.
5 p.m. - The Longboat Key/Lido Key/St. Armands Key Chamber of Commerce and the Anna Maria Island Chamber of Commerce host a women’s networking “Girl’s Night Out” at the Sun House Restaurant, 111 Bridge St. S., Bradenton Beach. Information: 941-383-2466.\
Wednesday, Aug. 22
10 a.m. to 2 p.m. - Watercolor workshop with Cheryl Jorgensen at the Anna Maria Island Art League, 5312 Holmes Blvd., Holmes Beach. Pre-registration required; fee applies. Information: 941-778-2099.
5 p.m. - The Anna Maria Island Chamber of Commerce holds a business card exchange at Whitney Bank, 5324 Gulf Drive, Holmes Beach. Information: 941-778-1541.
- Throughout August, area businesses celebrate Jazz on the Islands in partnership with the Bradenton Area Convention and Visitors Bureau. Jazz fans can expect to find live music at many Island restaurants and clubs, as well as musicians on the free Island trolley and a sampling of bop, groove, fusion and smooth jazz at www.jazzontheislands.com. Information: 941-729-9177.
- The Studio at Gulf and Pine, 10101 Gulf Drive, Anna Maria, hosts “Conversations at the Studio” Wednesdays at 5 p.m. Information: 941-778-1906.
- On the last Saturday of each month, the U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary Flotilla 82 hosts a basic “America’s Boating Course” in the Buchanan Room at Mote Marine Aquarium, 1600 Ken Thompson Pkwy., Sarasota. Information: 941-358-2068. Fee applies.
- On the second Saturday of each month, the U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary Flotilla 82 holds a “GPS for Mariners Course” at 10 a.m. at the Mote Marine Keating Center, Mote Marine Aquarium, 1600 Ken Thompson Pkwy., Sarasota. Information: 941-358-2068. Fee applies.
- Mondays through Thursdays until Sept. 27 the Durante Gallery at the Longboat Key Center for the Arts, 6860 Longboat Drive S., hosts the “Colors of Summer” exhibit. Information: 941-383-2466.
- “Paddle and Plant” volunteer workday at Robinson Preserve Aug. 25.
- Skimboard Bash on the Gulf of Mexico at the BeachHouse Restaurant in Bradenton Beach takes place Aug. 26.
- Rodgers & Hammerstein’s “Oklahoma!” opens at Manatee Players Aug. 30.
- Artist reception at ArtCenter Manatee Aug. 31.
- Mondays and Thursdays from Sept. 10 to Oct. 25, the U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary Flotilla 82 hosts a “Boating Skills and Seamanship Course” at the Mote Marine Keating Center, 1600 Ken Thompson Pkwy., Sarasota. Information: 941-358-2068. Fee applies.
Save the date:
- Bridge Street Festival Sept. 2.
- On Sept. 8, the Manatee High School Her-icanes girls soccer team hosts a fundraising golf tournament at the Bradenton Country Club. Call 941-807-1105.
- On Sept. 17, the Anna Maria Island Chamber of Commerce holds its annual golf tournament at the Bradenton Country Club beginning at noon. Information: 941-778-1541.
- On Oct. 20, the annual Bayfest, organized by the Anna Maria Island Chamber of Commerce, takes place in Anna Maria from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. Information: 941-778-1541.
- On Feb. 10, 2008, the Anna Maria Wedding Merchants Association hosts an Islandwide wedding trade fair. Information: 941-778-8705.
Send calendar listings to email@example.com. Please include time, date and location of the event and a name and phone number.