Wednesday, July 30
8 a.m. - The Longboat Key/Lido Key/St. Armands Key Chamber of Commerce “Wake up Wednesdays” event includes breakfast at the chamber office, 6960 Gulf of Mexico Drive, Longboat Key. Information: 941-383-2466.
5:30 p.m. - “Shark Jeopardy” is led by the experts from Mote Marine at the Island Branch Library, 5701 Marina Drive, Holmes Beach. Information: 941-778-6341.
Friday, Aug. 1
6:30 p.m. - The Anna Maria Island Community Center, 407 Magnolia Ave., Anna Maria, hosts movie night in the gym. On the screen will be “The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe.” Information: 941-778-1908.
Saturday, Aug. 2
8:30 a.m. - The Kiwanis Club of Anna Maria Island hosts a breakfast meeting at Cafe on the Beach, 4000 Gulf Drive, Holmes Beach. Information: 941-795-8697.
Sunday, Aug. 3
11 a.m. - Anniversary brunch commemorating 50 years of service on the Island at Gloria Dei Lutheran Church, 6608 Marina Drive, Holmes Beach. Information: 941-778-1813.
Tuesday, Aug. 5
10 a.m. - Family story hour at the Island Branch Library, 5701 Marina Drive, Holmes Beach. Information: 941-778-6341.
Noon: The Rotary Club of Anna Maria Island meets for lunch and a visit with Rotary District Gov. Margie Cypher at the BeachHouse Restaurant, 200 Gulf Drive N., Bradenton Beach. Fee. Information: 941-778-1880.
6 p.m. - The Anna Maria Island Community Center hosts teen sunset volleyball at the Manatee Public Beach. Information: 941-778-1908.
Wednesday, Aug. 6
1:15 p.m. - Gulf Coast Writers meet to share their writing at the Island Branch Library, 5701 Marina Drive, Holmes Beach. Information: 941-778-7631.
- Antique summer fashion display Tuesdays through Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Anna Maria Island Historical Museum, 402 Pine Ave., Anna Maria, through August. Information: 941-778-0492.
- Wednesdays and Saturdays at 9 a.m., players pitch horseshoes in the pits at Anna Maria City Hall, 10005 Gulf Drive, Anna Maria. Information: 941-708-6130.
- Simply Put Artesian Gallery, 11904 Cortez Road, hosts “Fourth Fridays” from 6 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. on the fourth Friday of each month. Information: 941-896-5053.
- Teen Boys’ Night gathering Wednesdays at the Anna Maria Island Community Center, 407 Magnolia Ave., Anna Maria. Information: 941-778-1908.
- Teen Girls’ Night gathering Thursdays at the Anna Maria Island Community Center. Information: 941-778-1908.
- From 8 a.m. to noon the first Saturdays of the month, the Felts Audubon Preserve, 4600 24th Ave. E., Palmetto, opens to visitors, with volunteers available to answer questions about the flora and fauna and hiking paths. Information: 941-729-2222.
- The first and third Mondays of each month, the American Legion Post 24, 2005 75th St. W., Bradenton, hosts dinners for the public. Fee. Information: 941-794-3489.
- Watch “Toy Story” at the Anna Maria Island Community Center Aug. 8.
- Meet and greet Manatee County Commissioner Jane von Hahmann at the Anna Maria Centre Shops Aug. 9. Free hot dogs, cold drinks, music by Eric von Hahmann.
- Video game tournament at the Anna Maria Island Community Center Aug. 12-16.
Save the date
- Open house at Anna Maria Elementary School Aug. 14.
- On Aug. 15-17, the Island Players welcome the Welsh Players to the Island for a performance of “The Importance of Being Earnest.” Fee. Information: 941-778-5755.
- Aug. 18 is the first day of class for 2008-09 public school students.
- On Aug. 26, Florida holds its primary election.
- Sept. 1 is Labor Day.
- Nov. 14-16, “artsHOP” takes place at various venues on the Island. Information: 941-778-2099.
Send calendar listings to email@example.com. Please include time, date and location of the event and a contact number and e-mail address. The deadline for submissions is at least one week prior to the Wednesday publication date.Remember, the sooner you submit your notice, the sooner The Islander can announce the event.