Friday, May 1
5 to 7 p.m. — Reception for artist Barbara Harrison, showing through May 27, at the Longboat Key Center for the Arts Gallery, 6860 Longboat Drive S., Longboat Key.. Information: 941-383-2345.
Sunday, May 3
7 a.m. — Island 5K Run and 1-mile family fun run benefiting United Way begins with registration at Bayfront Park Pavilion on North Bay Boulevard in Anna Maria. Information: 941-746-2121, ext. 122. Fee applies.
5 p.m. — Spaghetti dinner to benefit the Southeast High School girls basketball program at Gloria Dei Lutheran Church, 6608 Marina Drive, Holmes Beach. Information: 941-778-1813. Fee applies.
Wednesday, May 6
11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. — Anna Maria Island Chamber of Commerce luncheon at the Sandbar Restaurant, 100 Spring Ave., Anna Maria. Information: 941-778-1541. Fee applies.
- The first and third Mondays of each month, the American Legion Post 24, 2005 75th St. W., Bradenton, hosts dinners for the public. Fee. Information: 941-794-3489.
- Wednesdays, 6 to 8 p.m., teens by gender for ages 11-17 meet at the Anna Maria Island Community Center, 407 Magnolia Ave., Anna Maria. Information: 941-778-1908.
- Wednesdays, 8:30 a.m., free yoga on the beach, southside of the BeachHouse Restaurant, Bradenton Beach. Information: 941-779-6836.
- Wednesdays and Saturdays at 9 a.m., players pitch horseshoes in the pits at Anna Maria City Hall, 10005 Gulf Drive, Anna Maria. Information: 941-708-6130.
- Every Friday from 11 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. through the end of May, Bradenton Courthouse Square lunchtime concerts at 1115 Manatee Ave. W., Bradenton. Information: 941-704-4366 or 941-932-9439.
- May 9, AME Spring Fling dinner, dance, auction.
- May 14, “Alone Together Again” at the Island Players theater, Anna Maria.
- May 16, “For Love of Country and Its Music,” featuring Island-based Dr. Dave Band and others at Stardust Event Center, Sarasota.
Save the date
- May 30, Chinese Dragon Boat Festival at Coquina Beach.
Off-Island Arts & Events:
Wednesday, April 29
6:30 to 8 p.m. — Preston Whaley Jr., author of “Blows Like a Horn,” discusses jazz and the beat generation at the South Florida Museum, 201 10th St. W., Bradenton. Information: 941-746-4131.
Thursday, April 30
7 p.m. — Spring Fling Concert featuring Manatee Community College students at Neel Performing Arts Center, 5840 26th St. W., Bradenton. Information: 941-752-5252. Fee applies.
Ongoing Off-Island Theater:
- “Three Postcards” Asolo Theater, 5555 N. Tamiami Trail, through May 3. Box office: 941-351-8000. Fee applies.
- “The Winter’s Tale” Asolo Repertory Theatre, 5555 N. Tamiami Trail, through May 16. Box office: 941-351-8000. Fee applies.
- “Murderers” Asolo Repertory Theatre, 5555 N. Tamiami Trail, through May 16. Box office: 941-351-8000. Fee applies.
- “The Devil’s Disciple” Asolo Repertory Theatre, 5555 N. Tamiami Trail, through May 24. Box office: 941-351-8000. Fee applies.
- “Black Pearl Sings!” Florida Studio Theatre, 1241 N. Palm Ave., Sarasota, through May 30. Box office: 941-366-9000. Fee applies.
- “Laughing Matters” Florida Studio Theatre, 1241 N. Palm Ave., Sarasota, through June 6. Box office: 941-366-9000. Fee applies.
Send calendar announcements to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the time, date and location of the event, a brief description and a contact via e-mail and phone.