2007 'Top Notch' Photo Contest
Second Week & Winner Top Notch: Dog greets crab
Tom Thomas of Holmes Beach won the grand prize in The Islander's annual Top Notch contest for this photo of a 2 1/2-year-old Labrador retriever named Taylor greeting a blue crab on a sandbar near Longboat Pass Bridge. Thomas won $100 from the newspaper, plus a bevy of gifts from Islander advertisers, including Cafe on the Beach, Creations by L, The Sea Hagg, Subway and Walgreens. Five other photographers were weekly winners in the Top Notch contest - Robert L. Brown, Kim Klement, John Barker, Lori Kee and Mary Anne Keenan. The weekly winners received Islander "more-than-a-mullet wrapper" T-shirts and page 1 placement of their photos.
| Fifth weekly winner: Top Notch 'Sitting pretty'
Mary Anne Keenan of Bradenton entered this Top Notch shot taken at Fort DeSoto Park in St. Petersburg in April. The park is on the Great Florida Birding Trail. Keenan is the fifth winner in the six weeks of Top Notch, with prizes including front page placement for her photo and an Islander newspaper "more-than-a-mullet wrapper" T-shirt. Her entry will go into the pool of weekly winners to be eligible for the grand prize of $100 from the newspaper and a bevy of gift certificates and prizes from Islander advertisers.
| Fourth weekly winner: Gridiron grab
Kim Klement of Bradenton entered this Top Notch shot of a September 2006 game in Gainesville with University of Florida safety Tony Joiner, UF cornerback Reggie Lewis and University of Southern Mississippi wide receiver Rodney Gray reaching for a ball. Klement is the fourth winner in the six weeks of Top Notch, with prizes including front page placement for her photo and an Islander newspaper "more-than-a-mullet wrapper" T-shirt. Her entry will go into the pool of weekly winners to be eligible for the grand prize of $100 from the newspaper and a bevy of gift certificates and prizes from Islander advertisers.
| Third weekly winner: Top notch kids
John Barker of Holmes Beach titles his all-for-one, one-for-all shot of Islanders Adam Woods, left, Chris Adkins and Jacob and Shelby Barker "The Four Musketeers." Barker is the third winner in the six weeks of Top Notch, with prizes including front page placement for his photo and an Islander newspaper "more-than-a-mullet wrapper" T-shirt. Her entry will go into the pool of weekly winners to be eligible for the grand prize of $100 from the newspaper and a bevy of gift certificates and prizes from Islander advertisers.
| Second weekly winner: Top notch crabby dog!
Tom Thomas of Holmes Beach took this photo of Taylor, a 2½-year-old Labrador retriever, while at the sandbar east of the Longboat Pass Bridge. "Taylor," he says, "loves to chase crabs." Thomas is the second winner of six weeks of Top Notch, including front page for his photo and an Islander newspaper "more-than-a-mullet-wrapper" T-shirt and a certificate for Minnie's Beach Cafe, and her photo will go into the pool of six winners eligible for a grand prize that includes $100 from The Islander, a dining certificate from Ooh La La! Bistro, a bottle of champagne from Anna Maria Island Liquor and Wine, dinner for two at a Chiles Group Restaurant and framing of the winning photo by Decor and More.
| First weekly winner: Top notch pelican flock!
Lori Kee of Bradenton, an artist with a good camera eye and a Holmes Beach city employee, took this photo near the humpback bridge on North Bay Boulevard in Anna Maria. Kee's keen eye has earned her the prize for the first of six weeks of Top Notch, including front page for her photo and an Islander newspaper "more-than-a-mullet wrapper" T-shirt. Her entry will go into the pool of weekly winners to be eligible for the grand prize of $100 from the newspaper and a bevy of gift certificates and prizes from Islander advertisers.
If you've got a great snapshot, we've got a contest you could win.
The Islander photo contest will publish weekly winning photos beginning June 29. Eight weekly winning pictures will be featured on the cover of The Islander and one snapshot will be a grand prize winner with prizes and gift certificates awarded by the newspaper and local merchants.
Weekly prizes include a “More Than a Mullet Wrapper” Islander T-shirt, a bottle of wine from Anna Maria Island Liquor & Wine and a lunch certificate from Minnie’s Beach Cafe. The grand-prize package includes $100 from The Islander, a $50 gift certificate from Mister Robert’s Resortwear and a premium bottle of champagne from Time Saver.
The weekly deadline is noon Friday throughout the contest with the next deadline July 1.
Judging begins by a selection of pictures that may include abstract photos, still life pictures, landscapes and scenics, candid unposed snapshots, action, holidays, humor and animal pictures. Nothing is overlooked, including great kid pics, sentimental moments and moments of personal triumph.
Send or deliver your favorites (no limits) weekly to Top Notch Contest Editor, The Islander, 5404 Marina Drive, Holmes Beach FL 34217.
Digital contest entries should be submitted in the original JPG format on CD or via e-mail to email@example.com. No retouching, enhancements or computer manipulation is allowed.
Complete rules and entry forms for the contest are published below. Please attach a photo contest label to each photo or CD you submit.
E-mail entrants must submit the label information in the text of the e-mail, one photo attachment per e-mail.
Photos without entry forms will be disqualified. Additional photo labels are available at the newspaper office or they may be copied.
How to enter
Please attach to photo and mail or deliver to The Islander, 5404 Marina Dr., Holmes Beach FL 34217. Please include all form information with digital photographs sent by e-mail in the message text and preferably the contestants last name on the "subject" line and send to:.firstname.lastname@example.org Please note on envelopes or subject line "Attention Top Notch Photo Contest."
DATE PHOTO WAS TAKEN:
LOCATION PHOTO WAS TAKEN:
I have read the contest rules and affirm that this entry is in compliance with them.
SIGNATURE OF ENTRANT
'Top Notch Photo Contest Rules'
- The Islander Newspaper's Top Notch Photo Contest is strictly for amateur photographers. Amateur photographers are those who derive less than 5 percent of their income from photography.
- Black-and-white and color photographs taken after Jan. 1, 2003, are eligible. This allows for extended eligibility. Photos previously published (in any format/media) or entered in any Islander or other competitions are not eligible.
- Photographs may be taken with any make of camera. No retouching or other alteration (except cropping) is permitted of negatives, prints or electronic photo files; no composite pictures or multiple printing will be accepted. Digital photos may be submitted in their original JPG file format (via e-mail or disk) or a printed photograph. Slide (transparency) photos are not accepted.
- Entrant's name, address and phone number must be written clearly, in ink, on the contest label and affixed to the back of each print, or listed similarily in the e-mail message along with the digital photo attachment. One e-mail per photo submission. Mail entries to The Islander Top Notch Photo Contest, 5404 Marina Drive, Holmes Beach FL 34217. E-mail digital entries to email@example.com.
- Entrants by their entry agree that The Islander may publish their pictures for local promotion. Entrants must be able to furnish the original negative or original digital image if requested by the contest editor. All photos submitted become the property of The Islander. Photos will not be returned. The Islander and contest sponsors assume no responsibility for negatives, diskettes, CDs or photo prints.
Entrant must know the name and address of any recognizable persons appearing in the picture and those must be enclosed/attached with the entry.
- Employees of The Islander and their immediate family members are not eligible to enter the contest.
- Any taxes on prizes are the sole responsibility of the winners. Any cash prize won by a minor will be awarded to a parent or guardian. Prize rights are not transferable.