Wednesday, Aug. 22
10 a.m. to 2 p.m. - Watercolor workshop with Cheryl Jorgensen at the Anna Maria Island Art League, 5312 Holmes Blvd., Holmes Beach. Pre-registration required; fee applies. Information: 778-2099.
5 p.m. - The Anna Maria Island Chamber of Commerce holds a business card exchange at Whitney Bank, 5324 Gulf Drive, Holmes Beach. Information: 941-778-1541.
Thursday, Aug. 23
11:30 a.m. - The Longboat Key/Lido Key/St. Armands Key Chamber of Commerce hosts a luncheon at Fleming’s Steakhouse, 2001 Siesta Drive, Sarasota. Information: 941-383-2466.
Friday, Aug. 24
9 a.m. - The city of Holmes Beach and the Anna Maria Island Chamber of Commerce hold a ribbon-cutting ceremony to mark the grand opening of the Key Royale Bridge in Holmes Beach. Information: 941-778-1541.
Saturday, Aug. 25
8:30 a.m. - The Kiwanis Club of Anna Maria Island meets for a program and a breakfast at Cafe on the Beach at Manatee Public Beach, 4000 Gulf Drive, Holmes Beach. Information: 941-778-7823.
8:30 a.m. - Manatee County hosts a “paddle and plant” program at Robinson Preserve in west Bradenton. Volunteers are invited to help preview and plant marsh grass in the new, not-yet-open preserve. Information and reservations: 941-748-4501, ext. 4605.
5 p.m. - The 17th annual O’Connor Bowling Challenge takes place at the AMF Bradenton Lanes, 4208 Cortez Road, Bradenton. Information and pre-registration: 941-778-1908.
5 p.m. - A benefit for the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation’s Walk For the Cure campaign will take place at Sato Real Estate, 519 Pine Ave., Anna Maria, in support of Team Stroll Sisters. Information: 352-514-6545.
Sunday, Aug. 26
8:30 a.m. - The annual Skimboard Bash on the Gulf of Mexico takes place at the BeachHouse Restaurant, 200 Gulf Drive N., Bradenton Beach. Information and pre-registration: 941-778-1001.
Tuesday, Aug. 28
Noon - The Rotary Club of Anna Maria Island hears from Charles McDonald of the American Red Cross about the “Adopt-A-Soldier” program during a lunch meeting at the BeachHouse Restaurant, 200 Gulf Drive N., Bradenton Beach. Information: 941-778-1880.
Wednesday, Aug. 29
8 a.m. - The Longboat Key/Lido Key/St. Armands Key Chamber of Commerce hosts “Good Morning, LBK” event at the chamber office, 6960 Gulf of Mexico Drive, Longboat Key. Information: 941-383-2466.
- Throughout August, area businesses celebrate Jazz on the Islands in partnership with the Bradenton Area Convention and Visitors Bureau. Jazz fans can expect to find live music at many Island restaurants and clubs, as well as musicians on the free Island trolley at www.jazzontheislands.com/see.php. Information: 941-729-9177.
- The Studio at Gulf and Pine, 10101 Gulf Drive, Anna Maria, hosts “Conversations at the Studio” Wednesdays at 5 p.m. Information: 941-778-1906.
- On the last Saturday of each month, the U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary Flotilla 82 hosts a basic “America’s Boating Course” in the Buchanan Room at Mote Marine Aquarium, 1600 Ken Thompson Pkwy., Sarasota. Information: 941-358-2068. Fee applies.
- On the second Saturday of each month, the U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary Flotilla 82 holds a “GPS for Mariners Course” at 10 a.m. at the Mote Marine Keating Center, Mote Marine Aquarium, 1600 Ken Thompson Pkwy., Sarasota. Information: 941-358-2068. Fee applies.
- Mondays through Thursdays until Sept. 27 the Durante Gallery at the Longboat Key Center for the Arts, 6860 Longboat Drive S., hosts the “Colors of Summer” exhibit. Information: 941-383-2466.
- Rodgers & Hammerstein’s “Oklahoma!” opens at Manatee Players Aug. 30.
- An artist’s reception takes place at ArtCenter Manatee Aug. 31.
- Mondays and Thursdays from Sept. 10 to Oct. 25, the U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary Flotilla 82 hosts a “Boating Skills and Seamanship Course” at the Mote Marine Keating Center, 1600 Ken Thompson Pkwy., Sarasota. Information: 941-358-2068. Fee applies.
Save the date:
- The Bridge Street Festival is Sept. 2 on Bridge Street in Bradenton Beach.
- On Sept. 8, the Manatee High School Her-icanes girls soccer team hosts a fundraising golf tournament at the Bradenton Country Club. Call 941-807-1105.
- On Sept. 11 at 9:30 a.m., a Tribute to Heroes memorial service takes place at Rossi Park in Bradenton, followed by a luncheon at the Bradenton City Centre. Information: 941-748-4842, ext. 115.
- On Sept. 17, the Anna Maria Island Chamber of Commerce holds its annual golf tournament at the Bradenton Country Club beginning at noon. Information: 941-778-1541.
- On Oct. 20, the annual Bayfest, organized by the Anna Maria Island Chamber of Commerce, takes place in Anna Maria from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. Information: 941-778-1541.
- On Feb. 10, 2008, the Anna Maria Wedding Merchants Association hosts an Islandwide wedding trade fair. Information: 941-778-8705.
- On Feb. 23, 2008, the Anna Maria Island Community Center holds an Affaire to Remember at the Center. Information: 941-778-1908
Send calendar listings to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include time, date and location of the event and a name and phone number.