Wednesday, July 4
Today is Independence Day. Happy Fourth of July.
9 a.m. - The Longboat Key/Lido Key/St. Armands Key Chamber of Commerce celebrates July 4 with a parade, live music, games and a picnic along Bay Isles Road. A highlight is the placing of 50 American flags along the road. Information: 941-383-2466.
10 a.m. - The Anna Maria Island Privateers sponsor an Independence Day parade, stepping off at 10 a.m. at Coquina Beach and traveling north to Bayfront Park in Anna Maria. A celebration and presentation of scholarship awards follows at Cafe on the Beach, Manatee Public Beach, 4000 Gulf Drive, Holmes Beach. Information: 941-780-1668.
11 a.m. - The Palmetto Independence Day Celebration takes place along the Manatee Riverwalk and includes, in addition to a fireworks show over the river, a performance by rockers Edgar Winter and Rick Derringer. Information: 941-721-2138.
2 p.m. to 4 p.m. - The American Legion Kirby Stewart Post 24 hosts a barbecue and the patriotic renditions of Drew Thomas at the post building, 2000 75th St. W., Bradenton. Information: 941-792-8731.
Dusk - An annual July 4 fireworks celebration takes place at the Sandbar Restaurant on the Gulf shore in Anna Maria. Information/reservations: 778-0444.
Dusk - Sarasota’s Fireworks Over the Bay takes place at Sarasota Bayfront Park. Information: 941-953-3368.
Friday, July 6
12:30 p.m. - The city of Anna Maria holds a farewell gathering for Sgt. John Kenney of the Manatee County Sheriff’s Office, who is heading back to the mainland for duty. Information: 941-708-6130.
5 p.m. - Sato Real Estate hosts a free “first Friday” cocktail reception and celebrates the July 4 holiday at its offices in the Roser Cottage, 519 Pine Ave., Anna Maria. Information: 941-778-7200.
Saturday, July 7
8:30 a.m. - The Kiwanis Club of Anna Maria Island meets for a program and a breakfast at Cafe on the Beach at Manatee Public Beach, 4000 Gulf Drive, Holmes Beach. Information: 941-778-7823.
10 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. - St. Armands Circle hosts its sixth annual boat show today and Sunday in the St. Armands Circle Park, Sarasota. Information: 941-388-4411.
8 p.m. - A karaoke contest takes place at Pelican Pete’s, 12012 Cortez Road W., Cortez. Information: 941-792-4822.
Monday, July 9
10:15 a.m. - The Gulf Coast Writers meets at the Island Branch Library, 5701 Marina Drive, Holmes Beach, to hear from publisher Julie Ann Howell of Peppertree Press. Information: 941-778-3209.
Tuesday, July 10
Noon - The Rotary Club of Anna Maria Island holds a lunch meeting at the BeachHouse Restaurant, 200 Gulf Drive N., Bradenton Beach. Information: 941-448-5500.
10 a.m. - An astronomy program takes place at the Island Branch Library, 5701 Marina Drive, Holmes Beach. Information: 941-778-6341.
Wednesday, July 11
7:45 a.m. - The Anna Maria Island Chamber of Commerce holds a sunrise breakfast at the Sun House Restaurant, 111 Gulf Drive, Bradenton Beach. Information: 941-778-1541.
10:30 a.m. - A Friends Book Club program takes place at the Island Branch Library, 5701 Marina Drive, Holmes Beach. Information: 941-778-6341.
5 p.m. - The Anna Maria Island Chamber of Commerce celebrates a ribbon-cutting and open house at the expanded Bridge Street Interiors, 114 Bridge St., Bradenton Beach. Information: 941-778-1541.
5:30 p.m. - A teen-focused program on beading takes place at the Island Branch Library, 5701 Marina Drive, Holmes Beach. Information: 941-778-6341.
- Tuesdays the Anna Maria Island Community Center presents a watercolor class with Susie Cotton from 10:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the St. Bernard Catholic Church activity hall, 248 S. Harbor Drive, Holmes Beach. Information: 941-778-1908.
- Wednesdays the Anna Maria Island Community Center presents a knitting class with Barbara Hines from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. at the St. Bernard Catholic Church activity hall, 248 S. Harbor Drive, Holmes Beach. Information: 941-778-1908.
- The Anna Maria Island Art League offers summer courses for children and adults, as well as workshops, in its studio, 5312 Holmes Blvd., Holmes Beach. Information: 941-778-2099.
- Through July 31, Lee Mears is the featured artist at the Island Gallery West, 5368 Gulf Drive, Holmes Beach, through July 31. Information: 941-778-6648.
- Through July 31, the Artists Guild of Anna Maria Island Art Gallery holds a “Celebrate Summer” sale at the store, 5413 Marina Drive, Holmes Beach. Store hours are 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Tuesdays through Fridays and 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturdays. Information: 941-778-6694.
- On July 15, the Birthday Bash for Snooty the Manatee takes place at the South Florida Museum, 201 10th St. W., Bradenton. Information: 746-4131.
- On July 18, at 9 a.m., the Sarasota Bay Estuary Program conducts Bay-wise, a series of kayak tours from various points in the area. One such tour leaves Coquina Park Bayside in Bradenton Beach to tour Leffis and Jewfish keys. Information: 475-0796. Fee applies.
Save the date:
- In August, area businesses celebrate “Jazz on the Islands” in partnership with the Bradenton Area Convention and Visitors Bureau. Information: 941-729-9177.
- On Sept. 8, the Manatee High School Her-icanes girls soccer team hosts a fundraising golf tournament at the Bradenton Country Club. Call 941-807-1105.
- On Sept. 17, the Anna Maria Island Chamber of Commerce holds its annual golf tournament at the Bradenton Country Club beginning at noon. Information: 941-778-1541.
- On Oct. 20, the annual Bayfest, organized by the Anna Maria Island Chamber of Commerce, takes place in Anna Maria from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. Information: 941-778-1541.
Send calendar listings to email@example.com. Please include time, date and location of the event and a name and phone number.