Wednesday, July 23
5:30 p.m. - “Create a duct tape wallet” craft program at the Island Branch Library, 5701 Marina Drive, Holmes Beach. Information: 941-778-6341.
Thursday, July 24
11 a.m. - The Anna Maria Island Community Center’s teen program heads to Leffis Key to clean up the Bradenton Beach preserve. Information: 941-778-1908.
2 p.m. - Teen movie at the Island Branch Library, 5701 Marina Drive, Holmes Beach. Information: 941-778-6341.
Friday, July 25
Anna Maria Island Community Center fishing tournament kicks off after the Captains’ meeting. Information: 941-778-1908.
Saturday, July 26
8:30 a.m. - The Kiwanis Club of Anna Maria Island hosts a breakfast meeting at Cafe on the Beach, 4000 Gulf Drive, Holmes Beach. Information: 941-795-8697.
8 a.m. to noon - Children’s fishing contest hosted by the Anna Maria Island Community Center on the city pier in Anna Maria. Information: 941-778-1908.
Sunday, July 27
Noon - Anna Maria Island Community Center fishing tournament banquet at the Center, 407 Magnolia Ave., Anna Maria. Information: 941-778-1908.
Monday, July 28
Today is the deadline to register to vote for the Aug. 26 primary election.
2 to 4 p.m. - Concert featuring John Rinell and Scott Blum at Freedom Village, 6406 21st Ave. W., Bradenton. Information: 941-798-8122.
7 to 9 p.m. - Island Players Summer Improv Workshop for ages 16 and older taught by Patrick Johnson at the Island Players, 10009 Gulf Drive, Anna Maria, runs through Aug. 7. Information: 941-518-4431. Fee applies.
Tuesday, July 29
Noon: The Rotary Club of Anna Maria Island meets for lunch and a program about Florida wildfires with West Manatee Fire Chief Andy Price at the BeachHouse Restaurant, 200 Gulf Drive N., Bradenton Beach. Fee. Information: 941-778-1880.
Wednesday, July 30
8 a.m. - The Longboat Key/Lido Key/St. Armands Key Chamber of Commerce “Wake up Wednesdays” event includes breakfast at the chamber office, 6960 Gulf of Mexico Drive, Longboat Key. Information: 941-383-2466.
5:30 p.m. - “Shark Jeopardy” is led by the experts from Mote Marine at the Island Branch Library, 5701 Marina Drive, Holmes Beach. Information: 941-778-6341.
- Antique summer fashion display Tuesdays through Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Anna Maria Island Historical Museum, 402 Pine Ave., Anna Maria, through August. Information: 941-778-0492.
- Wednesdays and Saturdays at 9 a.m., players pitch horseshoes in the pits at Anna Maria City Hall, 10005 Gulf Drive, Anna Maria. Information: 941-708-6130.
- Simply Put Artesian Gallery, 11904 Cortez Road, hosts “Fourth Fridays” from 6 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. on the fourth Friday of each month. Information: 941-896-5053.
- Teen Boys’ Night gathering Wednesdays at the Anna Maria Island Community Center, 407 Magnolia Ave., Anna Maria. Information: 941-778-1908.
- Teen Girls’ Night gathering Thursdays at the Anna Maria Island Community Center. Information: 941-778-1908.
- From 8 a.m. to noon the first Saturdays of the month, the Felts Audubon Preserve, 4600 24th Ave. E., Palmetto, opens to visitors, with volunteers available to answer questions about the flora and fauna and hiking paths. Information: 941-729-2222.
- The first and third Mondays of each month, the American Legion Post 24, 2005 75th St. W., Bradenton, hosts dinners for the public. Fee. Information: 941-794-3489.
- Family movie “The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe” at Anna Maria Island Community Center Aug. 1.
- Family story hour at the Island Branch Library Aug. 5.
- Teen sunset volleyball at Manatee Public Beach Aug. 5.
- Anna Maria Island Community Center Drama Camp performance of “Alice in Wonderland” Aug. 8.
- Video game tournament at the Anna Maria Island Community Center Aug. 12-16.
Save the date
- On Aug. 15-17, the Island Players welcome the Welsh Players to the Island for a performance of “The Importance of Being Earnest.” Fee. Information: 941-778-5755.
- Aug. 18 is the first day of the 2008-09 school year.
- On Aug. 26, Florida holds its primary election.
- Sept. 1 is Labor Day.
- Nov. 14-16, “artsHOP” takes place at various venues on the Island. Information: 941-778-2099.
Send calendar listings to email@example.com. Please include time, date and location of the event and a contact number and e-mail address. The deadline for submissions is at least one week prior to the Wednesday publication date.Remember, the sooner you submit your notice, the sooner The Islander can announce the event.