Wednesday, June 27
5:30 p.m. - A teen-focused drawing class with Dawn Gurtner takes place at the Island Branch Library, 5701 Marina Drive, Holmes Beach. Information: 941-778-6341.
5:30 p.m. - The BeachHouse Restaurant partners with ABC Fine Wine and Spiritsfor a wine-tasting at ABC, 3500 Manatee Ave. W., Bradenton. Information: 941-778-8705.
Thursday, June 28
10 a.m. - A children’s reptile cartooning program takes place at the Island Branch Library, 5701 Marina Drive, Holmes Beach. Information: 941-778-6341.
Noon - A demonstration in acupuncture technique with Tricia Graziano takes place at Island Chiropractic Center, 3612 East Bay Drive, Holmes Beach. Information/RSVP: 941-773-6134.
Saturday, June 30
8:30 a.m. - The Kiwanis Club of Anna Maria Island meets for a program and breakfast at Cafe on the Beach at Manatee Public Beach, 4000 Gulf Drive, Holmes Beach. Information: 941-778-7823.
8 p.m. - A karaoke contest takes place at Pelican Pete’s, 12012 Cortez Road, Cortez. Information: 941-792-4822.
Sunday, July 1
Noon - The Anna Maria Island Privateers christen their pirate ship “The Skullywag” at the Anna Maria Island Chamber of Commerce, 5313 Gulf Drive, Holmes Beach. Information: 941-744-7390.
Monday, July 2
10 a.m. - The “Celebrate Summer” sale begins at the Artists Guild of Anna Maria Island Art Gallery, 5413 Marina Drive, Holmes Beach. The sale continues through July 31. Information: 941-778-6694.
Tuesday, July 3
10:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. - The West Manatee Firefighters Association, the Sandbar Restaurant and Publix Super Market hold a benefit fundraiser for WMFR Capt. Rich Jasinski at Publix, 3900 E. Bay Drive, Holmes Beach. Jasinski is battling Hodgkin’s disease. Information: 941-741-3900.
11:30 a.m. - The Anna Maria Island Chamber of Commerce holds a luncheon at Stonewood Grill, 7110 Cortez Road, Bradenton. Information: 941-778-1541.
Noon - The Rotary Club of Anna Maria Island hears from members Steve and Pam Schlueter on the Rotary International Convention in Salt Lake City during a lunch meeting at the BeachHouse Restaurant, 200 Gulf Drive N., Bradenton Beach. Information: 941-448-5500.
Dusk - An Independence Day eve fireworks show takes place at the BeachHouse Restaurant, 200 Gulf Drive N., Bradenton Beach. Information/reservations: 941-779-2222.
Wednesday, July 4
Today is Independence Day.
9 a.m. - The Longboat Key/Lido Key/St. Armands Key Chamber of Commerce celebrates July 4 with a parade, live music, games and a picnic along Bay Isles Road. A highlight is the placing of 50 American flags along the road. Information: 941-383-2466.
10 a.m. - The Anna Maria Island Privateers sponsor an Independence Day parade, stepping off at 10 a.m. at Coquina Beach and traveling north to Bayfront Park in Anna Maria. A celebration and presentation of scholarship awards follow at Cafe on the Beach, Manatee Public Beach, 4000 Gulf Drive, Holmes Beach. Information: 941-780-1668.
11 a.m. - The Palmetto Independence Day Celebration takes place along the Manatee Riverwalk and includes, in addition to a fireworks show over the river, a performance by Edgar Winter and Rick Derringer. Information: 941-721-2138.
2 p.m. to 4 p.m. - The American Legion Kirby Stewart Post 24 hosts a barbecue and the patriotic renditions of Drew Thomas at the post building, 2000 75th St. W., Bradenton. Information: 941-792-8731.
Dusk - An annual July 4 fireworks celebration takes place at the Sandbar Restaurant on the Gulf shore in Anna Maria. Information/reservations: 778-0444.
Dusk - Sarasota’s Fireworks Over the Bay takes place at Sarasota Bayfront Park. Information: 941-953-3368.
- The Suncoast Offshore Grand Prix Festival continues through the July 4 holiday with the World’s Largest Offshore Party Thursday, June 28, at the Hyatt Sarasota; the Festival Parade of Boats in downtown Sarasota Friday, June 29; the Powerboats by the Bay celebration in Sarasota’s Centennial Park Saturday, June 30; the Suncoast Offshore Grand Prix Boat Race at Lido Beach on Sunday, July 1; the fireworks display at Ed Smith Stadium in Sarasota on Tuesday, July 3; the Suncoast Spectacular with the Moscow Circus on Wednesday, July 4, at J.D. Hamel Park in Sarasota, and the Fireworks over the Bay in Sarasota Bayfront Park. Information: www.suncoastoffshore.org/events.
- Tuesdays the Anna Maria Island Community Center presents a watercolor class with Susie Cotton from 10:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the St. Bernard Catholic Church activity hall, 248 S. Harbor Drive, Holmes Beach. Information: 941-778-1908.
- Wednesdays the Anna Maria Island Community Center presents a knitting class with Barbara Hines from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. at the St. Bernard Catholic Church activity hall, 248 S. Harbor Drive, Holmes Beach. Information: 941-778-1908.
- The Anna Maria Island Art League offers summer courses for children and adults, as well as workshops, in the studio, 5312 Holmes Blvd., Holmes Beach. Information: 941-778-2099.
- On July 6, the city of Anna Maria holds a farewell gathering for Sgt. John Kenney of the Manatee County Sheriff’s Office, who is heading off the Island for mainland duty. Information: 941-708-6130.
- On July 15, the Birthday Bash for Snooty the Manatee takes place at the South Florida Museum, 201 10th St. W., Bradenton. Information: 746-4131.
- On July 18, at 9 a.m., the Sarasota Bay Estuary Program conducts Bay-wise, a series of kayak tours from various points in the area. One tour leaves Coquina Park Bayside in Bradenton Beach to tour Leffis and Jewfish keys. Information: 475-0796. Fee applies.
Save the date:
- In August, area businesses celebrate “Jazz on the Islands” in partnership with the Bradenton Area Convention and Visitors Bureau. Information: 941-729-9177.
- On Sept. 8, the Manatee High School Her-icanes girls soccer team host a fundraising golf tournament at the Bradenton Country Club. Call 941-807-1105.
- On Sept. 17, the Anna Maria Island Chamber of Commerce holds its annual golf tournament at the Bradenton Country Club beginning at noon. Information: 941-778-1541.
- On Oct. 20, the annual Bayfest, organized by the Anna Maria Island Chamber of Commerce, takes place in Anna Maria from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. Information: 941-778-1541.
Send calendar listings to email@example.com. Please include time, date and location of the event and a name and phone number.