AME dates to remember
The Anna Maria Elementary 2007-08 school calendar is winding up, however,
there are still opportunities for community involvement. Following are
some dates to remember:
- 5-7 p.m. May 28, family dinner night by Lee Roy
Selmon’s restaurant in the cafeteria.
- 7 p.m. May 28, fifth-grade presents “Cinderella” in the
- May 28, AME Relay for Life “Wacky Hat Day.”
- May 29, AME Relay for Life “Backwards Day.”
- May 29, fifth-grade trip to Busch Gardens.
- May 30, AME Relay for Life “Bring Your Camera to School Day.”
- 1 p.m. May 30, early release.
- May 30-June 1, Relay for Life AME Team event, Coquina Beach.
- 9:45-10:25 a.m. June 2, third- and fourth-grade awards ceremony.
- 9 a.m. June 3, fifth-grade awards ceremony.
- June 3, fifth-grade lunch at the BeachHouse Restaurant.
- June 4, fifth-grade vs. staff kickball game.
- 6:30 p.m. June 5, family skate night at Florida Wheels.
- June 5, early release.
- Summer vacation begins June 6.
See you on Aug. 18 for the start of the 2008-09 school year.
Wednesday, May 28
8 a.m. - The Longboat Key/Lido Key/St. Armands Key Chamber of Commerce holds its breakfast meeting at the chamber office, 6960 Gulf of Mexico Drive, Longboat Key. Information: 941-383-2466.
5 p.m. - The Anna Maria Island Chamber of Commerce holds a networking meeting at Island Chiropractic, 5917 Manatee Ave. W., Bradenton. Information: 941-778-1541.
Thursday, May 29
5:30 p.m. - The Anna Maria Island Chamber of Commerce hosts its hurricane seminar at the Sun House Restaurant, 100 Bridge St., Bradenton Beach. Information: 941-778-1541.
Saturday, May 31
8:30 a.m. - The Kiwanis Club of Anna Maria Island hosts a breakfast meeting at Cafe on the Beach, 4000 Gulf Drive, Holmes Beach. The scheduled program involves a discussion on red tide. Information: 941-795-8697.
1 p.m. - Manatee County Conservation Land Management representatives conduct a planting day at Robinson Preserve in west Manatee County. Information and reservations: 941-748-4501, ext. 4615.
1 p.m. - The Anna Maria Island Relay for Life benefiting the local American Cancer Society takes place at Coquina Beach. The event continues through Sunday. Information: 941-518-4431.
Sunday, June 1
Hurricane season begins today. Ready?
Monday, June 2
1:15 p.m. - The Gulf Coast Writers meet at the Island Branch Library, 5701 Marina Drive, Holmes Beach. The program involves writers sharing their work. Information: 941-778-7631.
Noon - The Longboat Key/Lido Key/St. Armands Key Chamber of Commerce celebrates Small Business Week through June 5 with a series of events, including a seminar on “protecting you and your business” at the Lido Beach Resort. Information: www.longboatkeychamber.com
Tuesday, June 3
Noon: The Rotary Club of Anna Maria Island meets for lunch and a program at the BeachHouse Restaurant, 200 Gulf Drive N., Bradenton Beach. The speaker is Pam Hindman from the Manatee County Guardian ad Litem program. Fee. Information: 941-778-1880.
- Wednesdays and Saturdays at 9 a.m., players pitch horseshoes in the pits at Anna Maria City Hall, 10005 Gulf Drive, Anna Maria. Information: 941-708-6130.
- The Anna Maria Island Community Center, 407 Magnolia Ave., Anna Maria, offers a range of classes for adults and children Mondays through Saturdays. Fees. Information: 941-778-1908 or www.islandcommunitycenter.com.
- From 8 a.m. to noon the first Saturdays of the month, the Felts Audubon Preserve, 4600 24th Ave. E., Palmetto, opens to visitors, with volunteers available to answer questions about the flora and fauna and hiking paths. Information: 941-729-2222.
- The first and third Mondays of each month, the American Legion Post 24, 2005 75th St. W., Bradenton, hosts dinners for the public. Fee. Information: 941-794-3489.
- On the first and third Saturday in June and July, the Historic Bridge Street Merchants Association presents the Bridge Street Market from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. in Bradenton Beach. Information: 941-518-4431.
- On June 8, Mote Marine Laboratory and Aquarium, 1600 Ken Thompson Parkway, Sarasota, hosts World Ocean Day Family Festival. Fee. Information: 941-388-4441.
- June 7-8, the eighth annual Island Blood Drive takes place at St. Bernard Catholic Church, 248 S. Harbor Drive, Holmes Beach. The event benefits the Florida Blood Services, Anna Maria Island Community Center, Anna Maria Island Privateers, Anna Maria Island Rotary Club, Wildlife Education Rehabilitation of Anna Maria and West Manatee Fire Rescue Volunteers. Information: 800-682-5663.
- June 9, summer camp begins at the Anna Maria Island Community Center, 407 Magnolia Ave., Anna Maria. Information: 941-778-1908.
Save the date:
- On June 15, Mote Marine Laboratory and Aquarium Sarasota, hosts the Pirate Coast Dive Festival at Siesta Key Beach. Fee. Information: 941-388-4441.
- On June 25, the Island Players series of summer theater classes begin 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. Wednesdays at the theater. Information: 941-518-4431.
- On July 3, the BeachHouse Restaurant presents its annual fireworks display. Information: 941-779-2222.
- On July 19, the South Florida Museum celebrates the birthday of Snooty the Manatee. Information: 941-746-4131.
- On Aug. 15-17, the Island Players welcome the Welsh Players to the Island for a performance of “The Importance of Being Earnest.” Fee. Information: 941-778-5755.
Send calendar listings to email@example.com. Please include time, date and location of the event and a contact number and e-mail address. The deadline for submissions is at least one week prior to the Wednesday publication date.Remember, the sooner you submit your notice, the sooner The Islander can announce the event.