AME dates to remember
The Anna Maria Elementary 2007-08 school calendar is winding up, however, there are still opportunities for community involvement. Following are some dates to remember:
- 10 a.m., May 23, third-grade Keep Manatee Beautiful flag-raising event.
- May 26, school holiday.
- 6:30 p.m., May 27, King Middle School open house for incoming sixth-graders.
- 5-7 p.m., May 28, family dinner night by Lee Roy Selmon’s in the cafeteria.
- 7 p.m., May 28, fifth-grade presents “Cinderella” in the auditorium.
- May 29, fifth-grade trip to Busch Gardens.
- May 30, early release.
- May 30-June 1, Relay for Life AME Team event, Coquina Beach.
- 9:45-10:25 a.m., June 2, third- and fourth-grade awards ceremonies.
- 9 a.m., June 3, fifth-grade awards ceremony.
- June 4, fifth-grade vs. staff kickball game.
- 6:30 p.m., June 5, family skate night at Florida Wheels.
- June 5, early release.
- June 6, summer vacation begins.
Thursday, May 22
11:30 a.m. - The Longboat Key/Lido Key/St. Armands Key Chamber of Commerce holds a luncheon at Fleming’s Prime Steakhouse & Wine Bar, 2001 Siesta Drive, Suite 101, Sarasota. Fee. Information: 941-383-2466.
Friday, May 23
11 a.m. - The Longboat Key/Lido Key/St. Armands Key Chamber of Commerce hosts its 20th annual golf tournament at the Longboat Key Club & Resort. Fee. Information: 941-383-2466.
6:30 p.m. - The Anna Maria Island Community Center, 407 Magnolia Ave., Anna Maria, hosts family skate night in the gym. Fee. Information: 941-778-1908.
Saturday, May 24
8:30 a.m. - The Kiwanis Club of Anna Maria Island hosts a breakfast meeting at Cafe on the Beach, 4000 Gulf Drive, Holmes Beach. The scheduled speaker is Greg Witham, Manatee County Veteran of the Year. Information: 941-795-8697.
9 a.m. to noon - The Rotary Club of Anna Maria Island holds a car wash at Regions Bank to raise funds through the American Cancer Society’s Relay for Life. Information: 941-448-5500.
10 a.m. to 2 p.m. - The Anna Maria Island Relay for Life campaign holds a yard sale at Gloria Dei Lutheran Church, 6608 Marina Drive, Holmes Beach. Information: 941-518-4431.
Sunday, May 25
10 a.m. to 7 p.m. - The Bridge Street Merchants Association hosts a Memorial Day celebration on Bridge Street. Information: 941-720-3317 or visit www.hbsma.com.
11 a.m. - Gloria Dei Lutheran Church, 6608 Marina Drive, Holmes Beach, hosts an open picnic lunch with hamburgers and hot dogs. Attendees are asked to bring a dish to pass. Information: 941-778-1813.
Monday, May 26
Today many government offices are closed in observance of Memorial Day.
Tuesday, May 27
Noon: The Rotary Club of Anna Maria Island meets for lunch and a program at the BeachHouse Restaurant, 200 Gulf Drive N., Bradenton Beach. Fee. Information: 941-778-1880.
Wednesday, May 28
8 a.m. - The Longboat Key/Lido Key/St. Armands Key Chamber of Commerce holds its breakfast meeting at the chamber office, 6960 Gulf of Mexico Drive, Longboat Key. Information: 941-383-2466.
5 p.m. - The Anna Maria Island Chamber of Commerce holds a networking meeting at Island Chiropractic, 5917 Manatee Ave. W., Bradenton. Information: 941-778-1541.
- Through May, free yoga sessions will be conducted on Saturdays at 8 a.m. on the beach near the Spruce Street entrance in Anna Maria. Information: 941-778-4109 or email@example.com.
- Wednesdays and Saturdays at 9 a.m., players pitch horseshoes in the pits at Anna Maria City Hall, 10005 Gulf Drive, Anna Maria. Information: 941-708-6130.
- The Anna Maria Island Community Center, 407 Magnolia Ave., Anna Maria, offers a range of classes for adults and children Mondays through Saturdays. Fees. Information: 941-778-1908 or www.islandcommunitycenter.com.
- From 8 a.m. to noon the first Saturdays of the month, the Felts Audubon Preserve, 4600 24th Ave. E., Palmetto, opens to visitors, with volunteers available to answer questions about the flora and fauna and hiking paths. Information: 941-729-2222.
- The first and third Mondays of each month, the American Legion Post 24, 2005 75th St. W., Bradenton, hosts dinners for the public. Fee. Information: 941-794-3489.
- On May 31 and June 1, the Anna Maria Island Relay for Life benefiting the local American Cancer Society takes place at Coquina Beach. Registration is under way. Information: 941-518-4431.
- On June 1, the 2008 hurricane season begins. Be prepared.
- On June 8, Mote Marine Laboratory and Aquarium, 1600 Ken Thompson Parkway, Sarasota, hosts World Ocean Day Family Festival. Fee. Information: 941-388-4441.
- June 7-8, the eighth annual Island Blood Drive takes place at St. Bernard Catholic Church, 248 S. Harbor Drive, Holmes Beach. The event benefits the Florida Blood Services, Anna Maria Island Community Center, Anna Maria Island Privateers, Anna Maria Island Rotary Club, Wildlife Education Rehabilitation of Anna Maria and West Manatee Fire Rescue Volunteers. Information: 800-682-5663.
Save the date:
- On June 15, Mote Marine Laboratory and Aquarium Sarasota, hosts the Pirate Coast Dive Festival at Siesta Key Beach. Fee. Information: 941-388-4441.
- On June 25, the Island Players summer theater classes begin 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. Wednesdays at the theater. Information: 941-518-4431.
- On July 3, the BeachHouse Restaurant presents its annual fireworks display. Information: 941-779-2222.
- On July 19, the South Florida Museum celebrates the birthday of Snooty the Manatee. Information: 941-746-4131.
- On Aug. 15-17, the Island Players welcome the Welsh Players to the Island for a performance of “The Importance of Being Earnest.” Fee. Information: 941-778-5755.
Send calendar listings to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include time, date and location of the event and a contact number and e-mail address. The deadline for submissions is at least one week prior to the Wednesday publication date.Remember, the sooner you submit your notice, the sooner The Islander can announce the event.