AME dates to remember
The Anna Maria Elementary 2007-08 school calendar is winding up, however, there are still opportunities for community involvement. Following are some dates to remember:
- May 14-16, staff appreciation week continues.
- May 15, Field Day activities.
- 9 a.m. May 16, Parent-Teacher Organization meeting.
- 8 a.m.-noon May 16, blood drive.
- 7 p.m. May 20, fifth-grade play in the auditorium.
- 2 p.m., May 16, fly a kite with third-graders.
- May 21, fifth-grade DARE graduation.
- 10 a.m., May 23, third-grade Keep Manatee Beautiful flag-raising event.
- May 26, school holiday.
- 5 – 7 p.m., May 27, family dinner night by Lee Roy Selmon’s in the cafeteria.
- 7 p.m., May 27, fifth-grade presents “Cinderella” in the auditorium.
- May 29, fifth-grade trip to Busch Gardens.
- May 30, early release.
- May 30-June 1, Relay for Life AME Team event, Coquina Beach.
- 9:45–10:25 a.m., June 2, third- and fourth-grade award ceremony.
- 9 a.m., June 3, fifth-grade award ceremony.
- June 4, fifth-grade vs. staff kickball game.
- 6:30 p.m., June 5, family skate night at Florida Wheels.
- June 5, early release.
- June 6, summer vacation begins.
Wednesday, May 14
7:45 a.m. - The Anna Maria Island Chamber of Commerce hosts a breakfast meeting at the Sun House Restaurant, 111 Gulf Drive, Bradenton Beach. Information: 941-778-1541.
Thursday, May 15
6:30 p.m. - Manatee County Conservation Lands Management representatives conduct a “shutterbug tour” of Robinson Preserve in west Manatee County. Information and reservations: 941-748-4501, ext. 4615.
Saturday, May 17
8:30 a.m. - The Kiwanis Club of Anna Maria Island hosts a breakfast meeting at Cafe on the Beach, 4000 Gulf Drive, Holmes Beach. The scheduled speaker is Bonner Joy, publisher of The Islander. Information: 941-795-8697.
10 a.m. to 3 p.m. - The Anna Maria Island Little League holds a family fun day at the Scanio-Hutchinson Memorial Field, 407 Magnolia Ave., Anna Maria.
8 a.m. to 2 p.m. - The Anna Maria Island Community Center holds a rummage sale at the Center, 407 Magnolia Ave., Anna Maria.
10 a.m. to 2 p.m.- the Anna Maria Island Privateers host Snooks Adams Kids Day - with games, treasures and treats - at Coquina Beach Bayside in Bradenton Beach. Information: 727-214-8903.
4 p.m. to 8 p.m. - The Fish Hole, 117 Bridge St., Bradenton Beach, holds a grand opening celebration with a band, refreshments and miniature golf. Information 941- 778-3400.
Monday, May 19
Noon - The Anna Maria Island Democratic Club meets at the BeachHouse Restaurant, 200 Gulf Drive N., Bradenton Beach. The speaker will be Stanley Katz, former deputy assistant secretary with the U.S. Department of Commerce and professor of economics at George Washington University. Information: 941-779-0564.
Tuesday, May 20
Noon: The Rotary Club of Anna Maria Island meets for lunch and a program at the BeachHouse Restaurant, 200 Gulf Drive N., Bradenton Beach. Fee. Information: 941-778-1880.
6:30 p.m. - Manatee County Conservation Land Management representatives lead a tour for people and their dogs through Robinson Preserve in west Manatee County. Information and reservations: 941-748-4501, ext. 4615.
- Through May, free yoga sessions will be conducted on Saturdays at 8 a.m. on the beach near the Spruce Street entrance in Anna Maria. Participants are encouraged to bring a mat or a large towel. Information: 941-778-4109 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Pet lovers share stories on the second Wednesday of the month at the Martinique North condominium in the “Surf Clubhouse,” 5300 Gulf Drive, Holmes Beach. Information: 941-778-1989.
- Wednesdays and Saturdays at 9 a.m., players pitch horseshoes in the pits at Anna Maria City Hall, 10005 Gulf Drive, Anna Maria. Information: 941-708-6130.
- On Fridays at 6:30 p.m., the Anna Maria Island Community Center, 407 Magnolia Ave., Anna Maria, hosts a free movie night in the gym. Information: 941-778-1908.
- The Anna Maria Island Community Center, 407 Magnolia Ave., Anna Maria, offers a range of classes for adults and children Mondays through Saturdays. Fees. Information: 941-778-1908 or www.islandcommunitycenter.com.
- From 8 a.m. to noon the first Saturdays of the month, the Felts Audubon Preserve, 4600 24th Ave. E., Palmetto, opens to visitors, with volunteers available to answer questions about the flora and fauna and hiking paths. Information: 941-729-2222.
- The first and third Mondays of each month, the American Legion Post 24, 2005 75th St. W., Bradenton, hosts dinners for the public. Fee. Information: 941-794-3489.
- On May 25, the Bridge Street Merchants Association hosts a Memorial Day celebration on Bridge Street. Information: 941-720-3317 or visit www.hbsma.com.
- May 26 is Memorial Day.
- On May 31 and June 1, the Anna Maria Island Relay for Life benefiting the local American Cancer Society takes place at Coquina Beach. Registration is under way. Information: 941-518-4431.
Save the date:
- On June 1, the 2008 hurricane season begins. Be prepared.
- On June 8, Mote Marine Laboratory and Aquarium, 1600 Ken Thompson Parkway, Sarasota, hosts World Ocean Day Family Festival. Fee. Information: 941-388-4441.
- June 7-8, the eighth annual Island Blood Drive takes place at St. Bernard Catholic Church, 248 S. Harbor Drive, Holmes Beach. The event benefits the Florida Blood Services, Anna Maria Island Community Center, Anna Maria Island Privateers, Anna Maria Island Rotary Club, Wildlife Education Rehabilitation of Anna Maria and West Manatee Fire Rescue Volunteers. Information: 800-682-5663.
- On June 15, Mote Marine Laboratory and Aquarium Sarasota, hosts the Pirate Coast Dive Festival at Siesta Key Beach. Fee. Information: 941-388-4441.
- On June 25, the Island Players summer theater classes begin with sessions on script analysis and play-reading taking place from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. Wednesdays at the theater. Information: 941-518-4431.
- On July 3, the BeachHouse Restaurant presents its annual fireworks display. Information: 941-779-2222.
- On July 19, the South Florida Museum celebrates the birthday of Snooty the Manatee. Information: 941-746-4131.
Send calendar listings to email@example.com. Please include time, date and location of the event and a contact number and e-mail address. The deadline for submissions is at least one week prior to the Wednesday publication date.Remember, the sooner you submit your notice, the sooner The Islander can announce the event.