Wednesday, April 9
7:45 a.m. - The Anna Maria Island Chamber of Commerce holds a sunrise breakfast at Melinda’s Cafe, 5315 Gulf Drive, Holmes Beach. Fee. Information: 941- 778-1541.
Noon -The Minnesota Club holds its last lunch of the winter season at Bayfront Park in Anna Maria. Information: 941-794-3573.
1 p.m. - The Island Library Book Club meets at the Island Branch Library, 5701 Marina Drive, Holmes Beach. Information: 941-778-6341.
Thursday, April 10
11:30 a.m. - The Longboat Key/Lido Key. St. Armands Key Chamber of Commerce holds a lunch at the Sun House Restaurant, 111 Gulf Drive S., Bradenton Beach. Fee. Information: 941-383-2466.
11 a.m. - The Council of Catholic Women St. Bernard Guild hosts a 50th anniversary luncheon at the church, 248 S. Marina Drive, Holmes Beach. Information: 941-794-5424.
7 p.m. - The Sarasota Shell Club meets at Mote Marine Aquarium, 1600 Ken Thompson Parkway, Sarasota. Information: 941-739-0908.
Friday, April 11
5 p.m. - The Anna Maria Island Chamber of Commerce holds a ribbon-cutting ceremony at ACT/Beach Fitness/Island Physical Therapy, 9908 Gulf Drive, Anna Maria. Information: 941-778-1541.
5:30 p.m. - The Anna Maria Island Art League presents “Landscapes of the Island,” beginning with a reception for the exhibit at the AMIAL gallery, 5312 Holmes Blvd., Holmes Beach. The display continues through May 1. Information: 941-778-2099.
6 p.m. - Jazz in the Park with the Venturas takes place at the Palma Sola Botanical Park, 9800 17th Ave. W., Bradenton, and benefits Manatee Children’s Services. Fee. Information: 941-345-1200.
Saturday, April 12
8 a.m. to 3 p.m.- The Anna Maria Island Privateers hosts a Thieves Market at Coquina Beach. Information: 727-214-8903.
10 a.m. to 2 p.m. - The DeSoto Heritage Festival’s Bottle Boat Regatta takes place on the Palma Sola Causeway. Information: 941-747-7953.
Noon to 3 p.m. - The Gulf Shore Animal League presents its third annual Scavenger Hunt beginning in Lakewood Ranch at the Summerfield Plantation Pavillion and ending at MarVista restaurant on Longboat Key. Information: 941-747-2284 or www.gsalinc.org.
Sunday, April 13
8 a.m. to 11 a.m. - St. Bernard Catholic Church, 248 S. Harbor Drive, Holmes Beach, hosts a pancake breakfast. Fee. Information: 941-778-4769.
Monday, April 14
9 a.m. - The Widowed Persons Support Group meets at the Anna Maria Island Community Center, 407 Magnolia Ave., Anna Maria, and plans to tour the Anna Maria Island Historical Society Museum on Pine Avenue. Information: 941-778-1908.
5:30 p.m. - The Anna Maria Island Chamber of Commerce partners with the Longboat Key/Lido Key/St. Armands Key Chamber of Commerce to host a “Ladies Night Out” at the Columbia Restaurant on St. Armands Circle. Fee. Information: 941-778-1541.
Tuesday, April 15
Today is Tax Day.
Noon: The Rotary Club of Anna Maria Island meets for lunch and a program at the BeachHouse Restaurant, 200 Gulf Drive N., Bradenton Beach. Fee. Information: 941-778-1880.
6:30 p.m. - The Anna Maria Island Turtle Watch holds a training for turtle-protection volunteers to walk the beaches in the 2008 nesting season. The program takes place at Holmes Beach City Hall, 5801 Marina Drive, Holmes Beach.
6:30 p.m. - Anna Maria Elementary, 4700 Gulf Drive, Holmes Beach, invites the public to attend a dedication of the school auditorium to former principal James Kronus. Information: 941-778-5525.
Wednesday, April 16
Noon: The Anna Maria Garden Club holds its last meeting of the season at Roser Memorial Community Church, 512 Pine Ave., Anna Maria. Information: 941-779-0329.
- In April,Cortez artist Cecy Richardson is the artist of the month at the Island Gallery West, 5368 Gulf Drive, Holmes Beach. The gallery is open 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Saturday. For more information, call 941-792-1039.
- Through April 30, the Ortygia Restaurant, 1418 13th St. W., showcases the paintings of Island artist Lolly Owen’s All that Jazz series of work. Information: 941-744-1333.
- Pet lovers share stories on the second Wednesday of the month at the Martinique North condominium in the “Surf Clubhouse,” 5300 Gulf Drive, Holmes Beach. Information: 941-778-1989.
- The Anna Maria Island Historical Society, 402 Pine Ave., Anna Maria, sells early settlers bread on Wednesdays at the museum. Information: 941-778-0492.
- Through April 27, the South Florida Museum, 201 10th St. W., exhibits “John J. Audubon: Birds of Florida,” a selection of rare and valuable Audubon works of art and artifacts. Fee. Information: 941-746-4131.
- Wednesdays and Saturdays at 9 a.m., players pitch horseshoes in the pits at Anna Maria City Hall, 10005 Gulf Drive, Anna Maria. Information: 941-708-6130.
- The Anna Maria Island Community Center, 407 Magnolia Ave., Anna Maria, offers a range of classes for adults and children Mondays through Saturdays, including cooking, dance, fitness and art classes. The Center also hosts a variety of athletic programs. Fees. Information: 941-778-1908 or www.islandcommunitycenter.com.
- From 8 a.m. to noon the first Saturdays of the month, the Felts Audubon Preserve, 4600 24th Ave. E., Palmetto, opens to visitors, with volunteers available to answer questions about the flora and fauna and hiking paths. Information: 941-729-2222.
- On Mondays at 1 p.m., the Anna Maria Island Contract Bridge Group plays at the Roser Memorial Community Church, 512 Pine Ave., Anna Maria. Fee. Information: 941-778-4362.
- The second and fourth Mondays of the month at 9 a.m., the widowed persons support group meets at the Anna Maria Island Community Center, 407 Magnolia Ave., Anna Maria. Information: 941-778-1908.
- The first and third Mondays of each month, the American Legion Post 24, 2005 75th St. W., Bradenton, hosts dinners for the public. Fee. Information: 941-794-3489.
- On Tuesdays at noon, duplicate bridge is played at the Anna Maria Island Community Center, 407 Magnolia Ave., Anna Maria. Fee. Information: 941-778-1908, or www.islandcommunitycenter.com.
- On April 18, the Marie Selby Botanical Gardens, 811 S. Palm Ave., Sarasota, hosts the 27th annual Sarasota Bromeliad Society Show and Sale. Fee. Information: 941-955-7553.
- On April 26, the Historic Bridge Street Merchants Association hosts the Anna Maria Island Farmers Market on Bridge Street in Bradenton Beach.
- On May 8, “The Long Weekend” opens at the Island Players theater at Gulf and Pine in Anna Maria. The play continues Tuesdays through through May 18. Information: 941-778-6878.
- On May 9, the Anna Maria Island Art League presents the 14th annual Manatee High Exhibit, beginning with a reception at the AMIAL gallery, 5312 Holmes Blvd., Holmes Beach. The exhibit continues through May 28. Information: 941-778-2099.
- On May 10, the Anna Maria Island Privateers host the annual Whitey Horton Memorial Golf Tournament, barbecue and awards banquet at River Run Golf Links, 1801 27th St. E., Bradenton. Information: 941-812-1412.
Save the date:
- On May 17, the Anna Maria Island Privateers host Kids Day at Bayfront Park in Anna Maria.
- On May 25, the Bridge Street Merchants Association hosts a Memorial Day celebration on Bridge Street. Information: 941-720-3317 or visit www.hbsma.com.
- On June 1, the 2008 hurricane season begins. Be prepared.
Send calendar listings to email@example.com. Please include time, date and location of the event and a contact number and e-mail address. The deadline for submissions is at least one week prior to the Wednesday publication date.Remember, the sooner you submit your notice, the sooner The Islander can announce the event.