Wednesday, April 16
Noon: The Anna Maria Garden Club holds its final meeting of the season at Roser Memorial Community Church, 512 Pine Ave., Anna Maria. Information: 941-779-0329.
Friday, April 18
9:30 a.m. - The Friends of the Island Library board meets at the Island Branch Library, 5701 Marina Drive, Holmes Beach. Information: 941-778-6341.
1 p.m. - Meals on Wheels Plus conducts a support group for caregivers at the Island Branch Library, 5701 Marina Drive, Holmes Beach. Information: 941-748-3001.
Saturday, April 19
Passover begins at sundown.
8:30 a.m. - The Kiwanis Club of Anna Maria Island hosts a breakfast meeting at Cafe on the Beach, 4000 Gulf Drive, Holmes Beach. Information: 941-795-8697.
9 a.m. - The Great American Cleanup gets under way at various locations on Anna Maria Island and on the mainland. Information: 941-795-8275 or go to www.manateebeautiful.com.
9 a.m. to 3 p.m. - The Manatee County Audubon Society hosts its fifth annual Earth Day celebration at the Felts Audubon Preserve, 4600 24th Ave. E., Palmetto. Information: 941-729-2222.
Sunday, April 20
3 p.m. - A free concert takes place at Gloria Dei Lutheran Church, 6608 Marina Drive, Holmes Beach. Information: 941-778-1813.
Monday, April 21
Noon - The Anna Maria Island Democratic Club holds a lunch meeting at the BeachHouse Restaurant, 200 Gulf Drive N., Bradenton Beach. Fee. Information: 941-778-9287.
Tuesday, April 22
Today is Earth Day.
9 a.m. - A representative of the Sarasota Bay Estuary Program leads a walk through Riverview Pointe Preserve, 8250 DeSoto Memorial Highway, Bradenton. Information: 941-748-4501.
Noon: The Rotary Club of Anna Maria Island meets for lunch and a program at the BeachHouse Restaurant, 200 Gulf Drive N., Bradenton Beach. The speaker is Holmes Beach City Commissioner David Zaccagnino. Fee. Information: 941-778-1880.
Wednesday, April 23
5 p.m. to 7 p.m. - The Anna Maria Island Chamber of Commerce holds a business card exchange at the Anna Maria Island Historical Society museum park. 402 Pine Ave., Anna Maria. Information: 941-778-1541.
- In April,Cortez artist Cecy Richardson is the artist of the month at the Island Gallery West, 5368 Gulf Drive, Holmes Beach. The gallery is open 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Saturday. For more information, call 941-792-1039.
- Through April 30, the Ortygia Restaurant, 1418 13th St. W., showcases the paintings of Island artist Lolly Owen’s All that Jazz series of work. Information: 941-744-1333.
- Throughout April, the Studio at Gulf and Pine presents Linda Chapman’s “Fur and Feathers in Fine Art.” The Studio is at 10101 Gulf Drive, Anna Maria. Information: 941-778-1906.
- The Artists Guild of Anna Maria Island features the work of Karen Cunningham in April at the Guild Gallery, 5414 Marina Drive, Holmes Beach. Information: 941-778-6694
- The Anna Maria Island Art League celebrates the “Landscapes of the Island” through May 1 at its gallery, 5312 Holmes Blvd., Holmes Beach. Information: 941-778-2099
- Pet lovers share stories on the second Wednesday of the month at the Martinique North condominium in the “Surf Clubhouse,” 5300 Gulf Drive, Holmes Beach. Information: 941-778-1989.
- The Anna Maria Island Historical Society, 402 Pine Ave., Anna Maria, sells early settlers bread on Wednesdays at the museum. Information: 941-778-0492.
- Through April 27, the South Florida Museum, 201 10th St. W., exhibits “John J. Audubon: Birds of Florida,” a selection of rare and valuable Audubon works of art and artifacts. Fee. Information: 941-746-4131.
- Wednesdays and Saturdays at 9 a.m., players pitch horseshoes in the pits at Anna Maria City Hall, 10005 Gulf Drive, Anna Maria. Information: 941-708-6130.
- The Anna Maria Island Community Center, 407 Magnolia Ave., Anna Maria, offers a range of classes for adults and children Mondays through Saturdays, including cooking, dance, fitness and art classes. The Center also hosts a variety of athletic programs. Fees. Information: 941-778-1908 or www.islandcommunitycenter.com.
- From 8 a.m. to noon the first Saturdays of the month, the Felts Audubon Preserve, 4600 24th Ave. E., Palmetto, opens to visitors, with volunteers available to answer questions about the flora and fauna and hiking paths. Information: 941-729-2222.
- On Mondays at 1 p.m., the Anna Maria Island Contract Bridge Group plays at the Roser Memorial Community Church, 512 Pine Ave., Anna Maria. Fee. Information: 941-778-4362.
- The second and fourth Mondays of the month at 9 a.m., the widowed persons support group meets at the Anna Maria Island Community Center, 407 Magnolia Ave., Anna Maria. Information: 941-778-1908.
- The first and third Mondays of each month, the American Legion Post 24, 2005 75th St. W., Bradenton, hosts dinners for the public. Fee. Information: 941-794-3489.
- On Tuesdays at noon, duplicate bridge is played at the Anna Maria Island Community Center, 407 Magnolia Ave., Anna Maria. Fee. Information: 941-778-1908, or www.islandcommunitycenter.com.
- On April 25, the Anna Maria Island Chamber of Commerce presents a concert at the corner of Pine Avenue and Bay Boulevard in Anna Maria from 5 p.m. to 10 p.m.
- On April 26, the Historic Bridge Street Merchants Association hosts the Anna Maria Island Farmers Market on Bridge Street in Bradenton Beach.
- On May 8, “The Long Weekend” opens at the Island Players theater at Gulf and Pine in Anna Maria. The play continues Tuesdays through May 18. Information: 941-778-6878.
- On May 9, the Anna Maria Island Art League presents the 14th annual Manatee High Exhibit, beginning with a reception at the AMIAL gallery, 5312 Holmes Blvd., Holmes Beach. The exhibit continues through May 28. Information: 941-778-2099.
- On May 10, the Anna Maria Island Privateers host the annual Whitey Horton Memorial Golf Tournament, barbecue and awards banquet at River Run Golf Links, 1801 27th St. E., Bradenton. Information: 941-812-1412.
Save the date:
- On May 17, the Anna Maria Island Privateers host Snooks Adams Kids Day at Bayfront Park in Anna Maria.
- On May 25, the Bridge Street Merchants Association hosts a Memorial Day celebration on Bridge Street. Information: 941-720-3317 or visit www.hbsma.com.
- On May 31 and June 1, the Anna Maria Island Relay for Life benefiting the local American Cancer Society takes place at Coquina Beach. Registration is under way.
- On June 1, the 2008 hurricane season begins. Be prepared.
Send calendar listings to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include time, date and location of the event and a contact number and e-mail address. The deadline for submissions is at least one week prior to the Wednesday publication date.Remember, the sooner you submit your notice, the sooner The Islander can announce the event.