Wednesday, Feb 25
10:30 a.m. — U.S. Rep. Dan Miller presents “New President, New Congress: What can we expect?” at the Anna Maria Island Community Center, 407 Magnolia Ave., Anna Maria. Information: 941-359-4296.
Friday, Feb. 27
6:30 to 9 p.m. — Movie night featuring “Kung Fu Panda” at the Anna Maria Island Community Center, 407 Magnolia Ave., Anna Maria. Information: 941-778-1908.
Saturday, Feb. 28
8:30 a.m. — The Kiwanis Club of Anna Maria Island hosts a breakfast meeting and presentation about elderly funeral planning by Larry Rubensteinm, at Cafe on the Beach, 4000 Gulf Drive, Holmes Beach. Information: 941-795-8697.
8 a.m. to 3 p.m. — Yard sale featuring homemade pies, sandwiches and hot dogs at the Pines Trailer Park, 103 Church Ave., Bradenton Beach. Information: 941-778-6043.
10 a.m. to noon — “Working with Glass” art demonstration by Susan Oberender at Island Gallery West, 5368 Gulf Drive, Holmes Beach. Information: 941-778-2346.
10 a.m. to 3 p.m. —Book sale at the Tingley Memorial Library, 111 Second St. N., Bradenton Beach.
11:30 a.m. — Pete Barreda demonstrates how to make sauces and marinades during the Bridge Street Market on Bridge Street in Bradenton Beach. Information: 941-518-4431.
Monday, March 2
4 to 5:30 p.m. — Introduction to black-and-white photography for ages 8 and older at the Anna Maria Island Art League, 5312 Holmes Blvd., Holmes Beach. Four-week session. Information: 941-778-2099. Fee applies.
7 p.m. — Artists’ Guild Gallery 20th birthday celebration in the community hall at the Episcopal Church of the Annunciation, 4408 Gulf Drive, Holmes Beach. Information: 941-778-6694.
Tuesday, March 3
4 to 5:30 p.m. — Inquiring Minds non-denominational study group discussion on “The Story of the Bible” at Gloria Dei Lutheran Church, 6608 Marina Drive, Holmes Beach. Information: 941-778-4579.
Wednesday, March 4
10:30 a.m. — Stan Abshier presents “Changing the Energy Systems for our Society” at the Anna Maria Island Community Center, 407 Magnolia Ave., Anna Maria. Information: 941-359-4296.
11 a.m. — University of South Florida Academy for Lifelong Learning’s Einstein Circle meets at the Studio at Gulf and Pine, 10101 Gulf Drive, Anna Maria. Information: 941-359-4296.
1:15 p.m. — Julie Howell, president of Peppertree Press, will talk on “Manuscript to Masterpiece” at the Gulf Coast Writers meeting at the Island Branch Library, 5701 Marina Drive, Holmes Beach. Information: 941-778-7631.
- The first and third Mondays of each month, the American Legion Post 24, 2005 75th St. W., Bradenton, hosts dinners for the public. Fee. Information: 941-794-3489.
- Thursdays at 7 p.m., smoke-free bingo at Annie Silver Community Center, 103 23rd St., Bradenton Beach. Information: 941-778-1915.
- Wednesdays, 6 to 8 p.m., Teen boys and girls, ages 11-17 meet at the Anna Maria Island Community Center, 407 Magnolia Ave., Anna Maria. Information: 941-778-1908.
- Wednesdays and Saturdays at 9 a.m., players pitch horseshoes in the pits at Anna Maria City Hall, 10005 Gulf Drive, Anna Maria. Information: 941-708-6130.
- Every Thursday (except the first Thursday of the month) at 7 p.m., The Village Bookshop Poets and Writers Group meets at the shop, 1006 11th Ave. W., Bradenton. Information: 941-750-9141.
- Every Friday from 11 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. through the end of May, Bradenton Courthouse Square lunchtime concerts at 1115 Manatee Ave. W., Bradenton. Information: 941-704-4366 or 941-932-9439.
- Saturdays at 8:30 a.m., free yoga on the beach near the Pine Avenue public beach access. Information: 941-794-6723.
- Saturdays from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., downtown Bradenton Farmer’s Market along Old Main Street. Information: 941-932-9552 or 941-932-9439.
- March 6, “Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs” performance at the Anna Maria Island Community Center.
- March 7, Run for Runaways along Manatee River waterfront.
- March 18, Social, benefit and appreciation for the Rev. Ronald Joseph at the Sandbar Restaurant, $50 tickets from The Islander or Sato Real Estate.
Save the date
- March 15, St. Patrick’s Day Island parade.
- March 17, St. Patrick’s Day Irish Breakfast sponsored by The Islander at the Moose Lodge in Bradenton Beach.
- March 21, Anna Maria Island Tour of Homes.
- March 27, For Art’s Sake sponsored by The Islander.
- March 28, Bottle Boat Regatta.
- April, month-long Manatee Jazz Festival.
- April 3-5, Seafood Festival downtown Bradenton.
- April 4, Anna Maria Island Community Center Affair to Remember.
- April 12, Easter sunrise service Manatee County Public Beach.
- April 18, Anna Maria Island Community Center Talent Show.
Off-Island Arts & Events:
Friday, Feb. 27
11:30 a.m. — Junior League of Manatee County “Women in Strength” awards luncheon at the Bradenton Country Club, 4646 Ninth Ave. W., Bradenton. Information: 941-748-0101. Fee applies. Proceeds benefit PACE Center for Girls of Manatee County.
6 to 8 p.m. — Artists reception for the Women Contemporary Artists “Project 4x6” exhibition at Manatee Community College Fine Art Gallery, 5840 26th St. W., Bradenton, through April 2. Information: 941-752-5225.
Saturday, Feb. 28
8 a.m. to noon — “TogetherGreen” nationwide volunteer initiative: participants will plant trees at Felts Audubon Preserve, 4600 24th Ave. E., Palmetto. Information: 941-737-3169.
8 p.m. —Variety show featuring Charlene McCullough from the Grand Ole Opry, at The American Legion Kirby Stewart Post 24, 2000 75th St. W., Bradenton. Information: 941-794-3489. Fee applies.
Ongoing Off-Island Theater:
- “The One That Got Away” presented by Studio 84 Productions at Manatee Community College, the music and theatre building, 5840 26th St. W., Bradenton, through Feb. 28. Box office: 941-752-5252. Fee applies.
- “Visiting Mr. Green” at the Asolo Theater, 5555 N. Tamiami Trail, through March 1. Box office: 941-351-8000. Fee applies.
- “Damn Yankees” at the Manatee Players, 102 Old Main St., Bradenton, through March 15. Box office: 941-748-5875. Fee applies.
- “Hula-Hoop Sha-Boop” at Florida Studio Theatre, 1241 N. Palm Ave., Sarasota, through March 21. Box office: 941-366-9000. Fee applies.
- “L’amico Fritz” at Sarasota Opera, 61 N. Pineapple Ave., Sarasota, through March 21. Box office: 941-366-8450. Fee applies.
- “Tosca” at the Sarasota Opera, 61 N. Pineapple Ave., Sarasota, through March 29. Box office: 941-366-8450. Fee applies.
- “Boleros for the Disenchanted” at Florida Studio Theatre, 1241 N. Palm Ave., Sarasota, through April 3. Box office: 941-366-9000. Fee applies.
- “Inventing Van Gogh” at Mertz Theatre, 5555 N. Tamiami Trail, through April 16. Box office: 941-351-8000. Fee applies.
- “The Winter’s Tale” at Mertz Theatre, 5555 N. Tamiami Trail, through May 16. Box office: 941-351-8000. Fee applies.
Send calendar announcements to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the time, date and location of the event, a brief description and a contact via e-mail and phone.