Wednesday, Dec. 12
Noon - The Anna Maria Garden Club celebrates the holidays with a musical program and a luncheon at Roser Memorial Community Church, 512 Pine Ave., Anna Maria. Information: 941-778-2607.
1 p.m. - The Island Library Book Club meets at the Island Branch Library, 5701 Marina Drive, Holmes Beach. Information: 941-778-6341.
Thursday, Dec. 13
11:30 a.m. - The Longboat Key/Lido Key/St. Armands Key Chamber of Commerce holds a luncheon 11:30 a.m. Thursday, Dec.13, at The Sun House, 111 Gulf Drive S., Bradenton Beach. Information: 941-383-2466.
6:30 p.m. - The Anna Maria Island Power Squadron presents a class on charts at the squadron building, 1200 71st St. N.W., Bradenton. Information: 941-714-0449.
Friday, Dec. 14
5 p.m. - The Longboat Key Center for the Arts, 6860 Longboat Drive, Longboat Key, hosts a reception to welcome a new director, Jane Buchman. Information: 941-383-2345.
Saturday, Dec. 15
8:30 a.m. - The Kiwanis Club of Anna Maria Island meets for a program and a breakfast at Cafe on the Beach at Manatee Public Beach, 4000 Gulf Drive, Holmes Beach. The guest speaker is Bob LaMastro, a club member who recently visited Normandy Beach in France. Information: 941-778-7823.
9 a.m. to 2 p.m. - The Islander hosts the annual “Where’s Woody” yard sale at the Island Shopping Center and the newspaper office, 5404 Marina Drive, Holmes Beach. Information: 941-778-7978.
10 a.m. - DeSoto National Memorial, located at the end of 75th Street in Bradenton, hosts Camp Uzita, a series of demonstrations about the DeSoto expedition. The event kicks off the 34th season of the program. Information: 941-792-0458.
1 p.m.and 7 p.m. - The South Florida Museum, 201 10th St. W., Bradenton, hosts “Rock Around the Christmas Tree” performed by the Manatee Players. Information: 941-746-4131 or visit www.southfloridamuseum.org.
6:30 p.m. - Roser Memorial Community Church, 512 Pine Ave., Anna Maria, hosts the annual Bethlehem Walk in Anna Maria. Information: 941-778-0414.
Sunday, Dec. 16
2 p.m. - The Anna Maria Island Community Chorus and Orchestra presents its holiday concert at Crosspointe Fellowship, 8605 Gulf Drive, Holmes Beach. Musical selections include work by Joseph Hadyn, Alexandre Guilmant and Saint-Saens. Information: 941-778-8585.
Monday, Dec. 17
6:30 p.m. - “Scrap Happy” takes place for scrapbooking enthusiasts at the Anna Maria Island Community Center, 407 Magnolia Ave., Anna Maria. Information: 941-778-1908. Fee applies.
Tuesday, Dec. 18
Noon: The Rotary Club of Anna Maria Island meets for lunch and a program at the BeachHouse Restaurant, 200 Gulf Drive N., Bradenton Beach. A club assembly will take place. Information: 941-778-1880.
- The Studio at Gulf and Pine in Anna Maria displays the work of photographer Nikita Kavoukles in December. Information: 941-778-1906.
- The Anna Maria Island Community Center, 407 Magnolia Ave., Anna Maria, offers a range of courses for adults and children Mondays through Saturdays, including cooking, dance, fitness and art classes. The Center also hosts a variety of athletic programs. Information: 941-778-1908, or www.islandcommunitycenter.com.
- The second and fourth Mondays of the month at 9 a.m., the widowed persons support group meets at the Anna Maria Island Community Center, 407 Magnolia Ave., Anna Maria. Information: 941-778-1908.
- The first and third Mondays of each month, the American Legion Post 24, 2005 75th St. W., Bradenton, hosts dinners for the public. Information: 941-794-3489.
- On Tuesdays at 4 p.m., Gloria Dei Lutheran Church, 6608 Marina Drive, Holmes Beach, hosts meetings of the Inquiring Minds group. Information: 941-778-1813.
- The Village of the Arts - located between Ninth and 14th streets west and Ninth and 17th avenues west in Bradenton - holds art walks on the first Fridays and first Saturdays of the month. Information: 941-747-8056.
- On the second Saturday of each month, the U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary Flotilla 82 holds a “GPS for Mariners Course” at 10 a.m. at the Mote Marine Keating Center, Mote Marine Aquarium, 1600 Ken Thompson Pkwy., Sarasota. Information: 941-358-2068. Fee applies.
- On the last Saturday of each month, the U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary Flotilla 82 hosts a basic “America’s Boating Course” in the Buchanan Room at Mote Marine Aquarium, 1600 Ken Thompson Pkwy., Sarasota. Information: 941-358-2068. Fee applies.
- The second annual Dolphin Dash is scheduled for Jan. 19. The event consists of a 5k run beginning at 8 a.m. Entry forms are available in the school administrative office. Pre-registration fees are $20 for adults and $10 for children under 16. Information: 941-778-5525.
- On Jan. 19, the Rotary Club of Anna Maria Island presents the 2008 Rotary Extravaganza and Casino Night at St. Bernard Catholic Church, 248 S. Harbor Drive, Holmes Beach. Information: 941-746-7517.
- On Jan. 26, a Household Hazardous Waste/E-Scrap Collection takes place from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at Coquina Beach. Information: 941-316-1988.
- On Jan. 29, Florida holds its presidential preference primary.
Save the date:
- On Feb. 2, the Friends of the Library holds the annual Friends Book Sale at the Island Branch Library, 5701 Marina Drive, Holmes Beach. Information: 941-778-6341.
- On Feb. 7, the Anna Maria Island Historical Society hosts a jazz fest at the Anna Maria Island Community Center, 407 Magnolia Ave., Anna Maria. Information: 941-778-0492.
- On Feb. 8, a benefit for the Anna Maria Island Butterfly Garden - the Butterfly Bash - takes place at St. Bernard Catholic Church, 248 S. Harbor Drive, Holmes Beach. Information: 941-518-4431.
- On Feb. 10, the Anna Maria Wedding Merchants Association hosts an Islandwide wedding trade fair. Information: 941-778-8705.
- On Feb. 23, the Anna Maria Island Community Center holds its annual auction and dinner - an Affaire to Remember - at the Center. Information: 941-778-1908.
- On March 1, the Anna Maria Island Historical Society hosts Heritage Days at the museum, 402 Pine Ave., Anna Maria. Information: 941-778-0492.
Send calendar listings to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include time, date and location of the event and a contact number and e-mail address. The deadline for submissions is at least one week prior to the Wednesday publication date.Remember, the sooner you submit your notice, the sooner The Islander can announce the event.