Wednesday, Oct. 8
Yom Kippur begins at sundown.
7:45 a.m. — Anna Maria Island Chamber of Commerce sunrise breakfast at the Sun House Restaurant, 111 Gulf Drive S., Bradenton Beach. Information: 778-1541. Fee applies.
11:30 a.m. — Off Stage Ladies Auxiliary of the Island Players luncheon at the Bradenton Country Club, 4646 Ninth Ave. W., Bradenton. Information: 941-761-7374. Fee applies.
Thursday, Oct. 9
8:30 a.m. — Internet class at the Island Branch Library, 5701 Marina Drive, Holmes Beach. Information: 941-778-6341.
4:30 to 6:30 p.m. — “Theatre for the Soul,” a six-week class, begins at the Longboat Island Chapel, 6200 Gulf of Mexico, Longboat Key. Information: 941-383-6491.
7 p.m. — Sarasota Shell Club meeting at Mote Marine Aquarium, 1700 Ken Thompson Pkwy., Sarasota. Information: 941-492-5296.
Friday, Oct. 10
6 p.m.— Potluck dinner and film screening of “Sea Biscuit” at the Anna Maria Island Community Center, 407 Magnolia Ave., Anna Maria. Information: 941-778-1908.
6:30 p.m. — Humane Society of Manatee County presents “Animal House,” a party featuring the Billy Rice Band and food by Harry’s Continental Kitchens at the Palma Sola Botanical Gardens, 9800 17th Ave. N.W., Bradenton. Information: 941-747-8808, ext. 311. Fee applies. Toga optional.
Saturday, Oct. 11
8:30 a.m. — The Kiwanis Club of Anna Maria Island hosts guest speaker Manatee County commissioner-elect John Chappie at a breakfast meeting at Cafe on the Beach, 4000 Gulf Drive, Holmes Beach. Information: 941-795-8697.
9 a.m. to 3 p.m. — Trolley Scavenger Hunt begins at the Sandbar Restaurant, 100 Spring Ave., Anna Maria. Information: 941-713-3105. Fee applies.
10 a.m. to 8 p.m. — Sarasota-Bradenton Home Show at the Sarasota-Bradenton International Convention Center, 8005 15th St. E., Sarasota. Information: 941-355-9161. Fee applies.
10:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. — Family origami class at the Island Branch Library, 5701 Marina Drive, Holmes Beach. Information: 941-778-6341.
Sunday, Oct. 12
10 a.m. to 6 p.m. — Sarasota-Bradenton Home Show at the Sarasota-Bradenton International Convention Center, 8005 15th St. E., Sarasota. Information: 941-355-9161. Fee applies.
Monday, Oct. 13
Today is Columbus Day.
Tuesday, Oct. 14
Noon: The Rotary Club of Anna Maria Island meets for lunch and a program at the BeachHouse Restaurant, 200 Gulf Drive N., Bradenton Beach. Fee. Information: 941-778-1880.
Wednesday, Oct. 15
9 a.m. to 4 p.m. — Job fair sponsored by the Manatee Chamber of Commerce at the Manatee Civic Center, One Haben Blvd., Palmetto.
- Wednesdays and Saturdays at 9 a.m., players pitch horseshoes in the pits at Anna Maria City Hall, 10005 Gulf Drive, Anna Maria. Information: 941-708-6130.
- The first and third Mondays of each month, the American Legion Post 24, 2005 75th St. W., Bradenton, hosts dinners for the public. Fee. Information: 941-794-3489.
- Oct. 16, Plein air painting demo at The Studio at Gulf and Pine.
- Oct. 17, “Sponge Bob Square Pants Movie” at the Anna Maria Island Community Center.
- Oct. 18, Plant and antique sale at Palma Sola Botanical Park.
- Oct. 18, Bridge Street market.
- Oct. 18, Island Bayfest, Pine Avenue, Anna Maria.
- Oct. 21, Twilight Teen Halloween party at the Central Library.
Save the date
- Oct. 25, Anna Maria Elementary School Fall Festival.
- Oct. 26, Outdoor Kayak Festival.
- Oct. 31, Trail of Treats.
- Nov. 1, Sarasota Blues Festival, www.sarasotabluesfest.com.
- Nov. 2, Anna Maria Elementary 1950s student reunion picnic.
- Nov. 8-9, Discover Egmont Key.
- Nov. 14-16, “artsHOP” takes place at various venues on the Island. Information: 941-778-2099.
- Nov. 15, Cortez Folk Festival at the Maritime Museum, Cortez.
- Nov. 15, Anna Maria Island Community Center “Concert on the Green.”
- Nov. 16, Anna Maria Island Community Chorus and Orchestra “Fall Welcome” concert. Tickets on sale, www.amicco.org.
Send calendar announcements to email@example.com. Please include the time, date and location of the event, a brief description and a contact via e-mail and phone.